1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slot A heatsinks?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brite750, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

This pc I'm working on seems to have a real heat issue, its an HP Pavilion XP789/Slot A Athlon 1ghz. The problem is that those old T-birds ran pretty hot and I dont think the cases were really designed for that much heat. HP in all their wisdom desided that they were going to cram way too much pc stuff in way too small a case, so I got thinking hey maybe use a bigger case, well there is a problem, the slot A cpu has a heatsink but no fan mounted on it and really no way to mount one, HP uses a 80mm fan mounted in an air duct to supposedly pick up the heat from the cpu on blow it out the back of the pc, not a bad plan i guess however so much heat builds up in the case that if you leave a cd in the drive it almost melts. I have this cpu in my hands and I cant for the life of me figure out how the HS comes off, it looks like there are 2 spring clips holding the hs down to the cpu but how do you unclip them? My thought was to find a conventional hsf for a Slot A that has the fans with it, then I can think about putting this stuff into a normal ATX case, the MB is an Asus K7M which looks to be an ATX MB but I have to get through this HSF issue first.

2. brite750

brite750 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486829

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice