1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slot processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Anyone know where i can pick up a SLOT 1 pentium 3 500 mhz processor? Thanks

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

You may find it difficult to find a legacy CPU...you will have better luck getting a "Sloket" adapter card and going with a PPG type CPU. you can get a High end Celeron or P-III that way fairly cheap.

Another option...since you're frying CPU's would be to replace the Mobo and CPU, this giving you a virtually new PC

3. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Ok..but if i replace mobo and cpu...dont i need a new power supply (mine is only 250) and a new case?

4. ourhouse

ourhouse

heh, same post on 2 different threads?
    yes it would be advisable to upgrade the power supply if you upgrading the rest

5. SexyTech

SexyTech

and YES...if you're replacing the Power Supply, then a new case w/Power Supply would be the way to go!

Good Luck!

ST

6. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

is 300 watts enough power for an amd xp1700?

7. spaceman_333

spaceman_333

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you're upgrading the processor and case-P/S, IMO it's pretty silly not to consider a new motherboard! If you find one that takes both SDRAM and DDR, you'll have one you should be able to move your memory into. Cost will be in the $60 range, and you get a new BIOS, possibly on-board NIC and USB 2.0, etc. Seems like an easy choice to me. :)

9. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

HI,
    I am considering a new m/b

ASUS A7N266/VM SOCKET A DDR MICRO ATX MOTHERBOARD WITH NVIDIA GEFORCE2 GRAPHICS CORE, LAN AND 6 CHANNEL AUDIO RETAIL BOX

http://compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=fbg916w525yw2u1&id=1000426

and getting the amd xp1700 processor.........is it cheaper/easier to buy a new p/s and install it in my current case or to just get a new case which comes with a p/s? (i was looking at this case which comes with 300 p/s)

http://www.techonweb.com/shop/products/productdetails.asp?id=535089

is this good?

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If everything else about your case is fine, I'd consider a quality P/S in the 350-400 watt range. OTOH, if you feel you'd like a new case, then I'd again shop for one with at least 350 watts of P/S.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/123636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice