1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sloth slow and crashes ocationally

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by PhillipBarton, Feb 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PhillipBarton

PhillipBarton Thread Starter

I have a Dell 2-in-1 laptop, and it is running super slow and hard to do anything without it freezing or crashing. I believe it is because I cant update windows 10, but it says I need 8GB of room to update it, but it wont clear anything out when I go in to clear unneeded stuff it just tries and then does nothing.

please help, Phillip

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Hello!

In the search bar, type cleanmgr and select Disc Cleanup. Select Clean Up System Files

upload_2020-2-11_13-55-28.png

Make sure the recycle bin, temporary files and temporary windows installation files are checked as well. This should help clear up some space.

Also please run this tool and post the info here: https://static.techguy.org/download/tsginfo.exe

3. PhillipBarton

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 17134, Installed 20180911155524.000000-360
    Processor: AMD A6-9220e RADEON R4, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G, AMD64 Family 21 Model 112 Stepping 0, CPU Count: 2
    Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics, 80 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 27 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0C8WGC, ver A00, s/n 2BL6XN2.CNWSC0088I002C.
    System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 1, s/n 2BL6XN2
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

4. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    OK, my concern is now confirmed: Your machine is one of those really basic machine (typically used for basic web browsing and using online apps) where you only have 32GB of storage, which is pretty much not enough for just Windows alone. These machines does not work well when its trying to update.

"Hard Drives: C: 27 GB (0 GB Free);" This is where you have the biggest issue. I haven't worked on one of these machines yet, but you may need to get an additional card added to help.

5. PhillipBarton

so question, why would they create it so that it wouldn't be able to update. that just seems kinda stupid to me.

also even when I clink one the full reset and delete everything it still says that I need 4.6 GB to do that...

also all that this laptop is used for is running a fB business page, and entering orders for a party plan company, although its not been getting used because it runs sssooooo slow, and freezes.

6. PhillipBarton

also its not that old just over a year...maybe

7. Couriant

First Name:
    James
    Your guess is as good as mine... I know why built the machine (for low cost/low use) but didn't factor windows updates so those drives get filled real quick. Prices between a 32GB and a 64GB as noted in the link below is about $12... something that should be absorbed into the cost when they are selling these machines for about $200....

I did check the machine and it is about 1 1/2 years old, but the machine came with the standard 1 year warranty so you would not be able to talk to Dell without spending money (just to talk to them).

Here is a link briefly explaining the same situation: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eal-with-windows-10-updates-on-a-32gb-netbook

So it looks like you will need to purchase a MicroSD Card to increase the storage and in theory this should resolve the update issue.

I would recommend 128GB or 256GB. 256GB seems to be around the $50 mark: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MicroSDXC-Adapter-MB-ME512GA-AM/dp/B072HRDM55

Since you cannot call dell for assistance, check with a local I.T. company to see if they have experienced this and if there are any other setup needed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice