1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow 2d graphics with nVidia Card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silvershield, Feb 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silvershield

silvershield Thread Starter

I have a nVidia GeForce MX 4000 (I know, its cheap). This is'nt really a problem,more of an annoyance, but here it goes.. Using the Nvidia card, the 3d graphics in games, etc... are much faster. But when doing basic tasks, such as email, web surfing...stuff like that, the 2d graphics are much slower than when using the Integrated Graphics (ATI Radeon Xpress 200).
    any help appreciated..

2. silvershield

3. 1069

Have you got both cards enabled at the same time? If so they may cause conflicts.

4. silvershield

No, when I select the PCI Card from the BIOS, it doesnt allow Windows to detect the integrated one.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well I think the MX4000 is a step backward from the Xpress200 graphics. After all the Xpress200 is on a PCI-Express bus, supports Hardware Texture & Lightning, and supports Directx 9. The Xpress200 should yield higher quality images but that might be why it seems slower. Allocating more memory to the Xpress200 IGP and lowering the quality settings in the ATI Catalyst Center may solve that problem.

For both cards using the latest driver may also be the key to get the most out of it. Both ATI and NVidia release driver updates regularly.

6. silvershield

But if I use integrated, wont it use system memory, slowing it down?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, it will use system memory but on the otherhand the MX4000 PCI is such a lousy and old GPU.

That said it shouldn't be so slow in 2D mode. You either have not uninstalled the ATI Catalyst Display drivers or the NVidia driver is not installed correctly or the driver has a compatibility issue.

8. silvershield

Ok, I finally decided to rip the nVidia out and invest in a new video card.. Though I am on a tight buget, what good video card can I get without burning a major hole in my pocket??

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How about the Geforce 6600, 6800 series cards?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice