1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow 98 machine

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Jim McDonald, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a machine at the moment that takes just under 2 mins to boot up into Windows. The OS is 98SE. The processor is AMD 1.5 Ghz with 256 ram and 80 Gb drive. The mobo is Asus A7N266VM. I've downloaded all of the Windows updates and the drivers are all up to speed. I've run Spybot, Adaware and cleaned off a couple of viruses - but the machine is still terribly slow to bootup. Any ideas out there please?

Jim

2. brindle

brindle

mine boots to windows in 52 seconds and that seems slow to me. clean up the start up in msconfig, disable seek for A drive on boot. there's many many things to increase boot up times so try a google search.
    If your anti-virus is scanning at boot disable that process.

3. brindle

brindle

4. Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald Thread Starter

Hi Brindle
    Thank you for the suggestions. I'll give them a try and report back in the next day or so.
    Jim

5. brindle

brindle

Great please do post back with what you did and the results. Good Luck

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Jim:

One of the most common problems that cause a long startup time is having a bloated startup load. By trimming down the list of programs in the MSCONFIG startup tab as much as possible, it'll make a noticable difference in the startup time, along with making your computer run better and a little peppier. (y)

Something else that'll also help is to change the boot order in the BIOS to where the hard drive is listed first. I shaved several seconds off the startup time by doing that. (y)

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice