1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow applications startup ONLY when connecting my PC on the Internet at home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sarahspence, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sarahspence

sarahspence Thread Starter

Hello Everyone :D

I have an XP SP2 (fully patched) laptop that I use at home and at work. When at work it is connected to the LAN via 100 MEG ethernet. When at home I connect it via an NTL 1MB broadband internet connection.

When I use my computer at home and unlike at work, all applications (launched either from the quick launch or from desktop or from the Start menu) take up to 2 minutes to open. After this initial delay everything returns to normal.

I'm not sure what is causing this or what the computer is doing when it occurs. Checking Task Manager gives no clues, no excessive memory or processor use and most of the time while they are opening is spent on System Idle Process.
    These problems disappear when I disconnect my computer from the internet. It has got to the stage that if I want to open a new application it is quicker to remove the cable, let the application open at normal speed and then reconnect and negotiate a new DHCP address which sometime takes ages to be completed!

I check my system every day for any spyware or virus using ad-aware, spybot, I also run norton anti-virus 2005 everyday. All the above tools report my system is free from spyware and virus. I also check my internet security using norton's online security check. It reports my system is secure.

I have just removed the NTL netguard, but with no improvement

Any help please

Many thanks

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are you running off the batteries at home or the AC power adapter? If off the AC power adapter it might be due to low line voltage.

3. sarahspence

sarahspence Thread Starter

Thank you for your prompt remply. i am using the AC power adapter and as i said when i deconnect my PC from the internet, the problem disappear!

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If you disconnect the internet and the problem disappears is this just at home or at work also? If it disappears at home and everything runs or opens ok after the internet is disconnected I would look at the modem or router that you plug into as a possible problem because that is where the network protocols are stored. Also you might want to look in Networking to see if there is a network connection for use at home and another for work.

5. Simes

Simes

This sounds like a problem I have listed.

I am sure it is to do with the fact you're logged on to the broadband package and various bits of handshaking is going on. Possibly to do with this Windows Gen Advantage lark or Norton finding out whether anything else needs to be downloaded.

Am trying to find out if there is anyway to remove this auto signing in for updates and to do it manually at your own leisure.

At present, I have to logon and leave it to settle down for 5mins until it's done everything it wants to do.........................and then I can work.

6. blondfinger

blondfinger

Hi,

I have the same problem as described but have yet to come across the solution. Have you a solution now you can provide?

Thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice