1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow boot and slow shutdown in xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ajent jumunji, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajent jumunji

ajent jumunji Thread Starter

i have a dell 2.0 ghz p4 w/ 256 megs of ram i upgraded to xp from windows me since then my computer boots very slowly and shuts down very slow also

2. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

How slow is slow? I upgraded from ME as well and notice that my machine does not boot in the 1 minute that MS was shooting for and does not rusume in 45 sec from hibernate as MS was also shooting for but it's not over 1.25 min - 1.5 min for either so I can't complain. I am running a Durron 900, 448 MB RAM. Obviously not as robust as your system. So if you are talking 2min or more (and that's streching it[I think]) then I would say that is slow. I have heard time and time again that a fresh install of XP is the way to go. Is that an option? Sorry, not the most convient advice but it may be the only resolution.

3. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I am running it on a 1 gig Dell Dimension with 256 megs and a cold boot takes around 70 seconds. A shutdown takes about 45 seconds. I went with a clean install over an upgrade. I am not a big fan of upgrades, I have seen too many old bugs, leftover parts of the old operating system, bad registry entries, etc. when doing an upgrade of an OS.

4. Emtronics

Emtronics

I loaded XP from scratch and my boot takes 45sec or less on my 600 PentIII with 384mg RAM. The shut down is so fast, if you blink you missed it. No kidding! Damn, I think I love this O/S. :)

5. tnutall

tnutall

Someone told me that I would have to uninstall ME since it was an upgrade from 98 to get XP to operate correctly.

6. emay

emay

Xp clean install IS the best way to go. You will see great improvement in performance with a clean install.

7. bcon76

bcon76 Guest

tnutall, I think that is correct. I wanted to install XP on a 98 machine but it is an upgrade from 95 and I guess you can't upgrade an upgrade.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice