1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow boot on laptop, Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lawman87, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lawman87

lawman87 Thread Starter

I recently changed to a wireless internet provider. I am using a Netgear wireless G router. I have no problems with the desktop, but when my wife tries to use the laptop, it takes a very long time before you can even open a browser. My wife says when she takes the laptop to work and uses the Sprint card to connect to the internet, it works very fast. Is there something I need to do for the laptop to work right at home?

2. antech

antech Banned

Follow the below instructions Carefully:
    1. Download HiJackThis from the link in my signature
    2. Run a Scan.
    3. Save a Logfile(On your Desktop)
    4. DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
    (Fixing Anything Might cause Unwanted System Instability,BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
    5.Copy and Paste all the contents
    6. Paste them in the reply Window

Are you working on AC Power at home??

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

In the Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter settings > (for the wireless adapter that you are using > properties) is "obtain an IP address and obtain DNS Server automatically" checked for the properties of the IPv4 protocol?

4. antech

antech Banned

Does the browser opens quickly at your wifes workplace?
    If not ,then this is a general windows problem
    BTW,
    Please post the HiJack This log.

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just another note here, Win7 has some changes in how wireless connections are handled and I am not sure if they change how the IPv4 connection is handled, but they do speed IPv6 used on business connections.

If DHCP is enabled (that's the "automatically obtain" option) then it is possible that the cache is corrupted.

You can clear this with the command ipconfig /flushdns. In previous version I know this is automatic on reboot, but I am not certain if it is in Win7.

I would do that, then shutdown and remove the power connection to both the modem and the router for about 30 seconds (they have caches too).

On reboot it still may take extra time to get a connection -- but I would hope once that is found it will be retained for future connectivity.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!