1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow boot up after second HDD removed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by azarno1, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. azarno1

azarno1 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My first post here....i've got a bit of a problem. i've just removed my second HDD from my PC and the boot up time has increased dramatically. Funnily enough Windows works fine and even boots up normally once you get to the Windows XP screen with the moving bar, but the initial boot up screen stays on for ages and then the screen proceeds to go black for about 1 minute before I get to the windows start up screen. The HDD I removed had no boot files on it, it was purely used to store music and video. It was also set to the slave setting and the remaining HDD is set to master.

Any advice would be appreciated as I am having to sit and stare at my screen for 3-4 minutes before I can start using it!

Thanks.....

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like the bios is wasting time looking for the second drive. Why not reset the bios to optimum defaults and hopefully that will reset drive configuration.

3. azarno1

azarno1 Thread Starter

I have already...no joy. i was thinking that i didn't change the HDD jumper on the existing drive. When there is only one drive in the machine should the HDD jumper be set to master or should you just take the jumper out?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592602

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice