1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow boot up in xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by wildexpressions, Jan 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildexpressions

wildexpressions Thread Starter

I have been reading about how quick xp boots up from numerous people but in my case it is VERY slow to boot up,way slower than when i was running win 98
    i have an amd athlon 1400 with 256 ddr ram on a 266 fsb main board and 60 gig hdd
    the only things that load on start up are norton antiviry=us 2002,norton internet security 2002,and msn messenger.
    I also notice that my performance isnt as good as when i was running 98 either,i have 30 gb partitioned off,for my music so it doesnt have to sift through it all to find anything.This was done when i first got my hdd and it was clean.
    I regularily run norton speed disc and win doctor.
    my main board has on board nic but it is disabled because i use the one supplied by my cable co.
    all my drivers are up to date.
    someone told me nortons hinders system performance but with my ddr ram and main board it shouldnt,should it?

folders are slow to open,programs are slow to open--but,i can play HIGH quality divx movies to my tv NO problem,nice and smooth,also game play is fantastic(radeon 64mb ddr)
    so those couple of things confuse me.

any ideas?
    my file system is ntsf

Oh,my hdd is only 5400 spin(why i got that i do not know)but that wouldnt really make that much of a difference would it?

Thanks

2. tpb

tpb

See if this helps, Go HERE and download and install BootVis.exe.
    You can use it to find out what is causing the slow boot-ups or you can let it auto-optimize your system.
    Hope it helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice