1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow boot up problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chrisboult, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisboult

chrisboult Thread Starter

I have an AMD Athlon 1200 which recently started having a problem on boot up. I now get a delay of 3-4 minutes when the machine sits at the 'Hit DEL to enter setup' prompt before the machine performs the memory check. Even if I hit DEL, the machine sits for 3-4 minutes. Once this is complete, the machine boots normally. I have tried re-seating all the PCI cards and SIMMs but to no effect. I have also replaced the CMOS battery.

Any ideas?

2. active95

active95

It seems that's some sort of DMI problem.
    Basically something in the BIOS takes long time to be recognized.
    I suggest to start first by:
    1. In BIOS if you happen to have" LOAD DEFAULT SETTING ( also called SAFE SETTINGS)" load those and see.
    If that cures the problem , then go ahead and enable your "favorite" settings, one by one ( i.e. disable LPT port , disable COM1 port etc..etc.)
    2. If that doesn't fix it, go ahead and strip down the pc. Take all the peripheral card out ( with the exception of the video card ) and boot up.
    If that fixes the problem , great, then start to add one card at the time and see which one creates the problem.
    3. If that doesn't help, them might want to try and move the cards to different slots. For instance leave the first PCI slot , after the AGP port.
    4. Might want to think about re-flashing the BIOS.
    Try those things first and post back .
    HTH

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice