1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Boot up

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kldkhd, May 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kldkhd

kldkhd Thread Starter

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, 8 gigs of ram, 1 Terabyte HD, AMD Phenom II X2 B55 Processor 3.01 GHs, It takes about two-three minutes to completely boot up. This is a fairly new system, not a lot of stuff installed. Any ideas to help speed up the startup?

2. renegade600

renegade600

you can go into your startup by typing msconfig in the search box and disable anything that is not necessary. If you are unsure of what something is, you can look it up in the following database

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_search.php

you can also go into your bio and look for an option for quick or fast boot.

3. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi I have found it very easy to use CCleaner to disable start ups. IMHO the only programs needed to start up are security programs. Others here may disagree with me!!
    I like this software from malwarebytes!
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/startuplite/

Attached Files:

4. Lance1

Lance1

As was mentioned by renegade600 about msconfig. I suggest running a Clean Startup Follow the steps at the link and see if you can track down the culprit.

5. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi I may be wrong but it is my understanding that disabling start-ups in msconfig is only for trouble shooting. I think there are different thoughts on this, so you should decide what's best for you.

6. renegade600

renegade600

and troubleshooting is what is being done. you don't want to take anything permanently off at first that might be needed or was not the culprit.

7. donetao

donetao Banned

You are not taking any thing off permanently. They can all be enabled again if you think you need them. Nearly every program wants to start on start-ups. There may be several that are causing a slow boot-up time. Not just one culprit.;)

8. kldkhd

kldkhd Thread Starter

Thanks Guys, MSConfig, disabled everything on startup, big difference. No problems on startup so I guess all that stuff did not need to boot. We will see how it goes. Thanks for the help.

9. donetao

donetao Banned

It's you're decision to make, but I would have your security programs run on start-up. As you can see in my screen shot, I have 3 things on start-up. MSE.(My Anti-Virus) Ad-Muncher, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploite.
    What ever you are using for Anti-Virus needs to run at start-up IMHO!!

10. kldkhd

kldkhd Thread Starter

I will make the changes.

11. donetao

donetao Banned

If you find you want a program to start-up,just enable it. The programs you have disabled will still run, just not on start up. I'm sure you will soon learn which programs you want to run on start-up. If your a Skype user, you might want that to run on start-up.(y) I prefer CCleaner to control my start-ups; instead of msconfig, but that's my choice. That way I can start windows in normal mode and not selective mode.
    It works for me!!

12. kldkhd

kldkhd Thread Starter

thanks for your help.

13. donetao

donetao Banned

You're very welcome. If you have any doubts about a program that's starting up, we have some really smart members that can help you if you want to attach a list of your start-ups to your thread!!

14. kldkhd

kldkhd Thread Starter

This software you mentioned, is it all free, or trial? got a link to it?

15. donetao

donetao Banned

Hi If your asking about CCleaner. Yes it is free and also has a paid version. I have always just used the free version. It has been down loaded over a billion times. Our forum recommends that you not use the registry cleaner feature. I have never had a problem with it, but I'm also very careful when using it and I'm prepared if some thing goes pear shaped. There are other features I think you might like, CCleaner has been around as long as I have and can help keeping the every day crap cleaned from your PC.
    Here;s safe link, free from PUP's. The free version is all you need!
    https://www.piriform.com/

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148750

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice