1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow browser speed

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chickennig, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chickennig

chickennig Thread Starter

Hi i need some help involving my internet. While on youtube it takes forever for the video to load the rate that im watching it is just as fast as it is for loading so it ends up stopping most of the time to load.When downloading anything through firefox (i tried chrome as well) it takes forever 8kb/s - 30kb/s. For example i went to download firefox again because i thought maybe it was bugged and i needed to reinstall it. the file is 8mbs and it took my 5 minutes to download it. Which normally it would be downloaded in a matter of seconds. It seems that only my internet browser is affected by this; my game ping and other programs are not affected by it.Could it be my internet settings?

What i have done so far is a disk defrag, scanned for viruses with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, reinstalled firefox and nothing has changed.

I do have a router if that means anything.:confused:

Thanks in advance :)

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you get from Speedtest.net with a connection directly to the modem (assuming separate modem and router)?

For that connection please show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. chickennig

chickennig Thread Starter

Ok well i tried connecting the internet directly to the modem and skipped using the router at all and there still is no difference.
    [​IMG]
    Is this what your asking for?

I also did the ipconfig /all but before i post it is there anything i should delete that would keep my computer safe and not be able to be hacked?

4. realtime37

realtime37

[advertising removed by mod]........ just a suggestion.. i have it also, where you get it is up to you... it works great!!!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1.51 Mbps should be OK for video viewing, but it seems pretty low for cable internet access (you do have cable, right?). Given the presumed slowness on a simple test I can imagine that a real download causes problems. It would be good if you could test your PC on somebody else's connection or test another computer on your connection. The problem appears to be with your ISP, the modem or your computer. Small possibility it could be the ethernet cable.

At this time there is no need to post the ipconfig /all, but to answer your question the only thing you might need to edit is your account name or computer name if either is raunchy or reveals your last name or something like that. A few people are uncomfortable posting their public IP address and it's OK for them to obscure the last one or two parts of that.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice