1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow browsing my network from one system

Discussion in 'Networking' started by GarroteYou, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GarroteYou

GarroteYou Thread Starter

Hello -

I've got 4 computers hooked into a Firebox SOHO 6 router. One of my computers, a good one running XP SP2 - takes a couple of minutes sometimes to browse the network. I've tried installing a different NIC, and I've removed everything from the computer but the video card, and it still goes terribly slow.

Open Explorer go to My Network Places. Under that, is Entire Network, and a list of shares frequently accessed. The interesting part is that if I open one of my shares listed here, I can access it immediately. If however I got to Microsoft Windows Network, it should bring up a listing of the work groups available, in my case one work group that all 4 computers are on. When I click on Microsoft Windows Network, it highlights, and then it takes up to 3 minutes to open up with the name of my work group. If you then click on the work group, it again takes up to three minutes to load the list of computers in the work group. All my other computers are able to browse these items quickly, in under 5 seconds.

I'm looking forward to any input I can get on this problem.

Thanks for reading.

~Dave

2. 220volt

220volt

I am more of a Cisco not a Microsoft guy, but have you tried swapping cables and ports on your router? Just to see what happens.
    What i mean by then is to swap PC that is using port1 on your SOHO with PC that is having issues , just to rule out cableing and duplex missmatch.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430448

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice