1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow burn speed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by windowstrouble, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. windowstrouble

windowstrouble Thread Starter

I am having troubles with my cd/dvd burner. It used to burn around its max speed (16x) and now it only burns below 2x. usually when i burn these same files it takes around 8minutes, now it takes over 30 minutes. i changed the PIO to the DMA if available on one of the options in the device manager, but this didnt help. could this be caused by low disk space? i have 3.2GB on my windows hard drive (C drive) and on my linux/windows i have 15.8GB (E drive). I use only windows and my burn program (roxio) is loaded on C drive. What could be causing my burner to work so slow?

specs:

philips dvd+rw max burn speed 16x
    I use a Microsoft Windows XP Home edition 2002 intel pentium 4CPU 504MB RAM 3GHz

I also have kubuntu installed on a separate partition, however I never use it.

There is a shared partition for the two operating systems that contains private files/folders....all downloaded/installed program files are on the windows 'c' drive.
    9.7GB capacity on c drive, 53GB capacity on shared drive. there is also a separate drive for linux, but it is only accessible through linux - which i do not use, so im not sure what its capacity is.

Thank you in advance :)

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It's often related to the media type.

Are these from the same batch that used to burn at 16x ?

Some burners are quite fussy as to speed, they do a test burn in a special calibration area of the media and base the maximum speed on what result they get.

My initial thoughts are media incompatibility or a dying laser, where the output power isn't what it used to be.

3. windowstrouble

yes the media is the same....a file size of about 4.3GB to a 4.7GB dvd. i had the drive replaced in late 05..so its roughly 1.5yrs old and i have over 37GBof media that i have copied onto the hard drive. i would estimate that i burn at least 1cd/dvd per week. do you think the laser could be the problem?

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

If the burner is that old it might be time to get a new one. Take a look at newegg

http://www.newegg.com

5. windowstrouble

looking at new dvd burners......i found that some of the burners need 10GB of hard drive space to burn at their maximum speed. my hard drive has 9.7GB on windows 'c' drive and 53 GB on the shared partition...could this be affecting my burn speed?

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Possibly but the thing is about the drive being replaced

i had the drive replaced in late 05

And it is a It used to burn around its max speed (16x) burner.

I did not know they made a 16X burner back in 2005. I bought a good one then and it was 2X and that was the highest I could find.

Question what type media are you using?

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download CD-DVD Speed from Nero Tools Download and post a screen shot of the run here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

8. windowstrouble

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice