1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow, can't pinpoint

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by matt768, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. matt768

matt768 Thread Starter

I had left my pc idle for about 2 hours and when I came back it was running really slow. I had noticed my CPU usage was 80-90% when idling. Odd.

I pinpointed this to my logitech g15 keyboard. The LCD manager had been telling windows media player to keep searching for pictures for the slide show viewer. Good, disabled this and all other services at startup and CPU usage went back to normal while idling, 0-2-% give or take.

Now the problem is my pc is still slow even though the CPU usage is normal (by slow I mean hangs at welcome screen for about 15 seconds and then is slow to load programs, fine in safe mode though).

Here's what I've tried:
    - Safe mode scan with malwarebytes and super anti-spyware
    - Clean, defrag, and compact registry
    - Defrag hard drive
    - Clear other misc. junk

I currently have:
    - All services except the ones needed for boot enabled.
    - All drivers are up to date including latest BIOS
    - Legit Windows 7 copy from Microsoft (64bit home premium upgrade)

Specs:
    Q9400 @ 3.6
    4gb ram (corsair dominator)
    750i ftw
    gtx 260 superclocked
    700+ hdd space
    750 watt (corsair)

And that's my speil.
    Thanks to all who can help.
    Thinking about a re-format :/

2. petan

petan

did you change anything in your system before it happened

3. matt768

matt768 Thread Starter

No I don't believe so. It was a normal day of use and then bam.

4. petan

petan

what all services did you stopped, have you checked registry for software on startup, this may be a virus, what if you try another account to log on instead of that one?

5. matt768

matt768 Thread Starter

I have everything except what is needed to boot into save mode stopped. It's pretty much like safe mode except in normal mode, if that makes sense.

The only software in the registry under all the /run entries i could find is adobe updater.

Like I stated in my original post, I've scanned with 2 of the best (imo) free malware programs both in safe mode and have come up with nothing.

I tried making another account (with admin privilege) and couldn't even log in. It was on "loading personal settings" or something for a few minutes so I just shut it down.

6. matt768

matt768 Thread Starter

Also, whenever I try and install system mechanic pro, during the installation a get a BSOD saying "a corrupted driver was trying to change the system" (not sure the exact words).

I get this only when I try and install it, or if I try and open it for that matter.

7. petan

petan

it seem like a virus to me, creation of another account may take few minutes, run safe mode it will stop even lot of drivers and also disallow other things, then try to create new account, HJT log would be great

8. matt768

matt768 Thread Starter

Made a new account in safe mode, boots there fine. Got into the new account in normal mode after a few minutes and it's still the same as my other account.

My HJT log is attached.

Attached Files:

9. matt768

matt768 Thread Starter

Also just ran yet another scan in safe mode, this time with avast (after trying the two outlined in the OP). It picked up one virus on my other hard drive. It was in a .wmp music file. Cleaned it up, however this still has not resolved my problem.

10. antech

antech Banned

Follow the below Instructions Carefully:
    1. Download Hijack this from the link in my signature.
    (Choose the installer of HJT—Hijack This)
    2. Run a Scan.
    DO NOT FIX ANYTHING BY YOURSELF.
    (Doing so when NOT Instructed Might cause Unwanted System Instability, BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)
    3. Save a Log file (On your Desktop)
    4. Copy and Paste all the contents.

5. Paste them in the Reply Window.

I am NOT an Authorized Malware Remover.

The Log is requested by me only for Optimization Purposes, troubleshooting and removing applications that are causing various problems such as Crashing, BSOD’s and Freezing and helping the poster remove any incompatible application/program and driver.

I will therefore NOT help if anything related to Malware is found in your log.

The thread will then moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expertize assistance.

11. petan

petan

ok, so open virustotal.com and upload iavlsp.dll there, then show me the results

12. antech

antech Banned

Removed the link from my signature.
    Sorry about that.
    Here is the NEW Tutorial:

1. Download Hijack this from the link.

2. Run a Scan.

(Doing so when NOT Instructed Might cause Unwanted System Instability, BSOD's and Even Render your System Unusable)

The Log is requested by me only for Optimization Purposes, troubleshooting and removing applications that are causing various problems such as Crashing, BSOD’s and Freezing and helping the poster remove any incompatible application/program and driver.

The thread will then be moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expert assistance.

13. antech

antech Banned

Removed the link from my signature.
    Sorry about that.
    Here is the NEW Tutorial:

1. Download Hijack this from the link.

2. Run a Scan.

The thread will then be moved to the Malware Removal Forums for expert assistance.

14. antech

antech Banned

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!