1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Comp - Task Manager - Commit Charge etc questions

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by workpckillingme, Jan 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. workpckillingme

workpckillingme Thread Starter

Hello everyone this is my first post here and I'm needy today...

My company has most access to the hardware/software locked down so I'm limited to the things I can do.

My problem is that my computer runs slow. I'm on XP and have several files for our customer base; email is huge but I keep most of them in archives in my Outlook 2007 I have 3 different inboxes one for my main corp email, one for voice mails through Call Pilot and the other for the department I run. I also have an ACCESS database that runs I open and store information in for purchases of our customers since 2009.

Not every day but several days throughout a month my computer will begin to lag similar to how your pc reacts when it's updating new files from Microsoft and along with this the computer begins to run loudly like a jet engine going to take off - it's really not that loud but it's noticeable.

I have given up on working with our IT team as it usually takes them quite a while sitting at my desk to complete a simple task (i'm really SOL if I need a pw to complete the task then I have to rely on them) so what I normally do is troubleshoot items through a Google search and fix it myself. For this I'm stumped.

I will open TaskManger but I really don't know what I'm looking for. I understand the Applications tab but the others that I can view are Processes, Performance and Networking. I will go to processes and begin ending items and hope that things will speed up and sometimes it works I usually sort by user name and look at the items listed by my username and end the higher Mem Usage. I often see searchindexer.exe and it used to take up so much of memory and I didn't know why it was running during work hours and when I tried to change it...well of course I didn't have the rights and logged a ticket and was told that I needed to change it to not run during the day and they just didn't get that I needed them to do it. So I've resulted in limiting what my computer will index and that has helped...but alas my problem continues to happen. Sometime when I'm ending processes I will end something that removes my icons and force a reboot and rebooting here at this place can take about 7 minutes (smh).

Today I noticed Commit Charge - I have no idea what this or what it can tell someone who does know what it is if this is an indicator of why my machine is so slow.

Currently my Commit Charge is 1114M / 6885M - Processes are 79 and CPU Usage is 5-10%.
    The only applications i'm running are Fujitsu fi-scanner error recovery guide, Excel, Access, Outlook, Chrome and Snagit.

Does anyone have any words of advice or helpful hints ECT?
    :eek:

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy, and welcome to TSG. :)

probably won't be able to do anything on that computer, as it's a work pc. I know that if any of my people looked online to find ways around security restrictions I had put into place, there would be some bad things occurring. You need to be very careful about that. I understand that IT can be difficult to work with sometimes (I work IT), but that said, those rules are put into place for a reason.

3. workpckillingme

Hi valis!

Thanks for the response.

I understand what you are saying about rules at work. I'm not trying to get around them I was just venting about them. My husband is an IT guy too so I get it...that being said there was a time a few years ago I couldn't get the scanner that's linked to my computer to scan....my work was backing up as some guy from IT sat at my desk for over an hour trying to figure it out. My husband stopped by during his lunch and was finished in less than 5 minutes. SIGH! lol

What I would like to know is how to solve this problem if anyone could shed some light on what could be the cause and I could suggest this to someone in the IT department if it's something I can't do myself. I'm not trying to get in trouble I just want to help IT help me.

Thanks again for you r response!

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties.

Advise what's listed in the Computer: section at the bottom of the "General" tab - exactly as you see it there.

-----------------------------------------------------------

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of your computer?

5. workpckillingme

Brand name = lenovo / IBM
    I'm not sure of the model number

6. workpckillingme

Good morning~

General tab from properties for my computer =
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz
    3.39GHz 1.99 GB of RAM
    Physical Address Extension

Brand is an IBM ThinkCentre lenovo
    Model number = 8807-66U

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The processor is running at its full rated speed and there's plenty of RAM, so that's not a cause for the slowness problem.

I'm guessing there's too many startup entries auto-loading in

Start - Run - MSCONFIG - OK - "Startup" tab

and too many services auto-loading in

Start - Run - SERVICES.MSC - OK

The text in your screenshot is too small and blurry to read, so it's of no help.

8. Robsy128

Robsy128

Hmm... the sound of a jet sounds like one of the fans is going into overdrive for some reason or it could be the actual hard drive just saying 'I need sorting out - help!' I'd say it's worth defragmenting the hard drive and letting that run overnight.

Do the IT guys not help you whatsoever? It sounds pretty bad if you have to come onto a forum/Google to get your answers.

9. ayush-bhattarai

ayush-bhattarai

First of all there an application named "Ccleaner" and another app "Reg Clean pro" download and run. Trust me it frees memory and helps a lot to speed up the pc

Regards- Ayush

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    That's bad and dangerous advice. (n)

-------------------------------------------------------------

11. Robsy128

Robsy128

Depending on how their work system is set up, they may not be able to download anything at all aside from wallpapers or something. Either way, I wouldn't download a program that says it cleans up your PC. I never trust those things.

12. ayush-bhattarai

ayush-bhattarai

Man theese both softwares are microsoft certified.!.!

13. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor (deceased)

See HERE.
    Scroll down to John's post of January 26,2013. That explains it quite well.

RegClean Pro is a registry cleaner and has all the inherent dangers associated with registry cleaners.
    Even the registry cleaning function of CCleaner, while mild by most standards, can still cause damage to your system if you don't know what you're cleaning.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice