1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Compaq

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysi, Feb 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonysi

tonysi Thread Starter

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum but....
    I have been asked to try to speed up an old Compaq 2262. It has a 2GB HDD with 350 MB free, 160 MB RAM and is running a 6x86 Cyrix 233 MHz CPU.
    It is running the ususal apps including Zonealarm, Nortons AV, MS Works and MS Office XP, Publisher 2002 etc.
    I have tried all the usual tricks like removing tmp and chk files, scandisk, defrag etc, clearing as much as I risk out of MSCONFIG etc, but it still runs sloooooowly and boots even more sloooooooooowly - like 3 - 4 minutes to boot from cold!

Another minor problem that I can do little about is that some kind soul has deleted rather than uninstalled a number of games.

Is Office XP and Publisher too much for this old and underpowered CPU or have I missed anything??

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

That machine is definitely too underpowered to be running Office XP and Publisher 2002.

What this person really needs is a completely new system if they want to run those kinds of applications.

If it's not possible, then you may want to check on the motherboard and see if the cpu can be upgraded at all to something faster. A little more ram and a bigger HDD would help too.

Is it using built in video or an add-on card?

If you still have the drivers for all the parts in the system, or can find them on the Net, you might try backing up any important data and reinstalling Windows.

3-4 minutes for booting up is way too long.

3. Jtoast

Jtoast

I agree with JSanguancheu.

You can buy a new computer for what it would cost to upgrade that machine to where it will run those applications at a respectable speed.

On a machine that old, about all you can do is max the RAM and check the motherboard for a CPU upgrade but your probably not going to get a CPU for it that is a whole lot faster.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice