1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow computer for seemingly unknown reason

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dave20688, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it terminates unexectedly it will attempt to do so, but not if you do it manually. You can use the Task Manager to restart it. Sometimes it is useful to terminate Explorer when a malware process connected to it needs to be actively removed.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Thanks, I've seen KillBox's option to terminate explorer, but some of Merijn's docs say that XP attempts to restart explorer. Maybe that program does cause an "unexpected" termination.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It may be that when Explorer is terminated during the startup process Windows automatically restarts it, or tries to. From time to time I see this in my eventlog as an error or warning -- but I never notice anything unless I look.

4. Dave20688

Dave20688 Thread Starter

Hmmm, ok, I think it's pretty much fixed. BUT, the only problem is Internet Explorer still. For some reason, it lags a little bit whenever using the program. It doesn't do this for any other browser of program either. In fact, if IE is even open and the screensaver comes on, THAT lags and freezes up a little bit too. What's going on here?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I find IE is generally slower than my routine browser, Opera -- so i don't know if what you are experiencing is really unusual. Certainly one issue could be with the use of the screen saver concurrently which may be locking available memory and forcing IE to use virtual memory. This may be where you are getting to the limits of your current installed ram amount to handle things efficiently.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/410492

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice