1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SLOW computer!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Sazie, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sazie

Sazie Thread Starter

I recently moved to a new state and had to change my internet from Charter to Comcast. It, or some other problem, is causing my computer to be very slow! This is information I received from you guys:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 510 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 76285 MB, Free - 20905 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0YC523
    Antivirus: PC Cleaners, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

2. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You do only have 512 mb of RAM. This is just in processor memory where open programs are stored while you are using the computer. Typically today, most computes have 4gb of ram installed, or 8 times what you have. Installing more ram would for sure help.

You say it is slow though. When? Only doing certain things? Only on the internet? Or is it even when you are just on the hard drive moving through folders?

3. Sazie

Sazie Thread Starter

It's slow no matter what I'm doing. It is an old computer (2005) and do know it needs more ram, but it wasn't THIS bad before I moved and the only change is from Charter to Comcast. It also takes forever to load when I first turn it on which wasn't the case before. I will update the ram though. Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks..

4. reticentAJ

reticentAJ

First Name:
    AJ
    You don't need to necessarily update the ram just yet. It's possible you have a virus. Changing internet providers would not cause your computer to boot slower or be slower when not using the internet. It says you have pc cleaners. I would run a full scan and let me know if it detects anything.

For future reference, you don not need to post your computer specs. You have entered them in your profile, so there is a computer icon next to your name, which allows us to see that information.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the model name and model number of that Dell?

You definitely need to add more RAM to it.

----------------------------------------------------------

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click it to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and allow its main window to load.

Uncheck "Do not show this window when I start HiJackThis".

Click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in 30 - 60 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE log file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!