1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Slow computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PabloMontoya, Sep 16, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. PabloMontoya

PabloMontoya Thread Starter

Hello,

I bought an HP laptop (running Windows 10) about 10 days ago from a place called Renewed Computer Technology. It worked well at first, but today I started noticing problems. When I try to stream a service like Netflix, it buffers every one or two seconds, so it's impossible to watch, and it didn't do at first. I have also noticed that it is quite hot on the bottom, in the center.

This may or may not be related, but the battery is also weird, because it doesn't always totally charge (right now it says "at 95% and not charging"). If you unplug it, it runs out of battery power almost immediately.

Lastly, I did an internet speed test, and noticed that my modem is at 50 mbps, but the device itself is at around 15-20 mbps. This also wasn't the case just a few days ago!

I don't really need streaming video, but everything seems to have slowed down in about one day. I mainly bought this for work, so good advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Hello and welcome to TSG!!

You've told us virtually nothing about your computer, other than it is an HP laptop. That's really not much to go on ...

3. PabloMontoya

It's an Elitebook 8530p. It's been refurbished.

4. PabloMontoya

Intel Core 2 Duo processor. 2.4 Ghz

5. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    That appears to be a 10+ year old model, introduced back in the XP/Vista days. I would not expect this to be very efficient running Win10. The technology just doesn't measure up to the demands. I'm willing to bet it has not been certified to run 10.
    How much memory have you got in it?

6. PabloMontoya

4 GB Ram. 160 GB HDD.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Woefully underpowered.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The HP EliteBook 8530p Notebook PC appears to originally come with Windows XP Pro 32-bit or Windows Vista Business 32-bit.
    The Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker on yours will confirm which Windows operating system it originally came with.

I agree with Mark.
    That notebook is too old and too slow to adequately run Windows 10 and its associated apps.

---------------------------------------------------------------

9. PabloMontoya

Thanks guys!

10. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

If all else fails....and you really want to use it. Why not try installing a Linux distro on it. There are plenty to choose from. Use a USB and create a Live install....this way you can try it out before installing it to see if you like it.

11. lynx1021

lynx1021

You said "quite hot on the bottom, in the center". And "This may or may not be related, but the battery is also weird, because it doesn't always totally charge (right now it says "at 95% and not charging"). If you unplug it, it runs out of battery power almost immediately." This sound like the heat sink is clogged causing overheating that will make your CPU throttle back causing poor performance and the battery is bad. Does not sound like it was refurbished right. Did you get any kind of warranty with it? I would be calling the refurbisher.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1233060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice