1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

slow computer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by GJS, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GJS

GJS Thread Starter

I am running windows ME on a Pentium III 700 mhz with 192 mb ram. About a half hour after I start up my computer it slows down considerably. At this point the amount of physical ram avaiable is less than 1 mb. It seems as if I have a memory leak somewhere and I don't know how to find it or what to do about it. Also when I run defrag, I have to close down almost everything running in order for it to work. Please help.

2. RSM123

RSM123

First it may help you to try both Scan Disk and Defrag from Safe Mode ... read here :

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php/id/41

Do that and nothing will be running that can interfere with those tasks.

As regards how you pc is handling your resources - you may care to check this link for the processes running on your pc :

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

You can then decide what can safely be removed from your startup. (There's a brief summary of what each items does and the task it fullfils.)

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  4. GJS

GJS Thread Starter

I tried some of the things you mentioned by deleting them from the startup and it did not make a difference.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Trimming down the startup load usually increases system resources and perks things up. What is still running in the background?

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

6. GJS

GJS Thread Starter

the following are running in the background Explorer, Winmgmt, Cpqeadm, Wlanmon, Bttnserv, Wetsock, Syntpenh, Rundll32, Dpps2,, Essd, Syntplpr, and Systray. When I first start the system up I have @ 45 mb of physical ram available. After about 20 minutes it drops to 250 kb. There are no viruses or spyware. I could upgrade my ram from 192 to 310 but I want to make sure nothing else is the problem before I do this. If you see something above that I can delete from startup please let me know. Thanks.

7. brindle

brindle

Did you trim down your start-up in msconfig as flavallee suggested?

8. GJS

GJS Thread Starter

Start-up has been trimmed down quite a bit in MSCONFIG. Still no difference.

9. brindle

brindle

Three of those programs I recognize wetsock, dpps2, syntplpr. Weather, popup stopper and a nt\2000 ? help file. Have you gone to the individual programs and configured them to not load when windows starts?

10. GJS

GJS Thread Starter

I have found a file to close (Winmgmt). It shows up in ctrl-alt-dlt, but not in MSCONFIG. Not quite sure how to get it to not load.

11. RSM123

RSM123

12. Miz

Miz

If all else fails, download CWShredder. One of the effects of that spyware is massive computer slowdown.

If you read the info on that page, you'll see why AdAware and Spybot aren't real effective in getting rid of it.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice