slow computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ladymemi

Hello there, my computer seems to get slower and slower & I'm not sure what all I need to do. I do the defrag, scan & all of that but is there more I can do? If what, what? I also have Reg. clean from microsoft, and I use that, although I'm not sure what that is for. I've also noticed that my time is not keeping the right time. So, could someone please HELP me.....
Thanks,
Memi

ladymemi
Welcome to TSG!
Slow performance can happen as more programs are added.
The problem your having may be a low on resource situation caused by many programs starting up. Windows has a little cache, 64K in size, it uses to control all the action. This cache when it starts to fill will manifest itself in slowdown performance, jerky cursors, system hangs, and sometimes a low on memory message alert. This cache is totally independent of your Ram, Hard drive size or any other high power functions.
Removing most of those programs from your startup group will definitely improve performance and most will start on demand.
Go to start/run type in msconfig and enter. Select the startup tab and uncheck all listed except
*statemgr (WinME only), systray, scanregistry, loadpowerprofiles (both), Tweakui if there,
and any antivirus/firewall programs you have. You can review your items using either of the sites below.
After you made the changes click apply and restart the computer.
See if you problem is fixed.

If your have Win95
Does not have MSCONFIG! Download similiar program (startup cop) Here.
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-1461989-100-5943130.html

Sites that explain items in the startup group.
Heres a site I like that will help with the explaination.
http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

also
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

Let us know how it turns out.
Dave

ladymemi

Thank you for your help, I went to all the sites, and did a few things. I't seems to be working better. I have another ? though. When I did the disc cleanup, it said it freed some space but when I opened the folder, everything was still in there. Also if I was to put things in FAT32, how will I be able to find them. I mean, will it put a FAT32 folder in my files or what? I didn't want to fool with it without knowing a little about it. Again, thank you for your help.
P.S. for jmatt - when I run scan disc most of the time I do it in thorough mode.
Memi

Hi ladymemi,You can read about Fat32 and what it is here.

http://www.project9.com/fat32

For your temp files not deleteing,try this Go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in Ms-dos>at the c:\ prompt type

Smartdrv (then hit the enter key)
Deltree/y Tempor~1 (then hit the enter key)
Deltree/y Temp (then hit the enter key)
Deltree/y history (then hit the enter key)

Exit (then hit the enter key)

If you have windows me,you will need the floppy to boot into dos.

Time synchronizer is a windows utility for making sure that your
system clock is always correct. It connects to an atomic clock based time server to adjust the time.
www.toolsforselling.com

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online