1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow computer

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by haon94, Nov 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haon94

haon94 Thread Starter

I just put in two PC133 256MB of memory and my computer is not running faster.

I have a 667MHZ and I noticed that my system resources were down to 51% so I added the ram and I still see hesitation in my computer. Anyone have any suggestions?

I got rid of a lot of the stuff on my start up. I also used ctrl alt del and stopped everything but explorer and systray. That got me up to 78% resources free.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions I open to them...

Thanks

2. angel

angel

Adding additional ram won't affect your System Resources - they are different - a common misconception. See <a href="http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58452">this post</a> for additional information.

If you have any more questions, you might want to request this post be moved to a more appropriate forum since it's not really a Tip or Trick. Many posters here don't wander in here often.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

haon94
    Angel is absolutly correct that adding ram will not improve resources. It can at times even slow the system down and cause errors on some units if 512MB is exceeded. At higher levels RAM configurations Windows 9.x gets very hoggy with its use.
    The three articles by "Lange" that Angel posted are exceptionally good reading on many fronts and take the time to review his comments and suggestions in the third part conclusion.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice