1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow connection and speedtest.net

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nbaidoun, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nbaidoun

nbaidoun Thread Starter

Hello guys,

This is the first time I post on here, I have a problem with my internet connection and I would like some advice.

Last month I changed my ISP, I saw a cheaper offer for the same speed as my previous ISP and went for it, but since then my internet speed has become really slow.

Both services are 10MB/sec, my previous one was cable, now it's through a phone line.

My internet speed is really slow, it takes a couple of seconds before opening any webpage as opposed to instantly as it were doing before. I play online games and my latency used to be between 30-50 ms on the servers I usually play in that are located in my timezone, and now I'm lucky if I go under 120ms. my download speed went down, I used to download files between 300k/s to 3mb/s, now I am lucky if I can ever hit 30k/s.

All this happened as soon as I switched ISP. Everytime I call tech support, they make me hold on the phone, close my internet connection and come back and ask me to check my speed on speedtest.net, which always gives me exactly 10.10 download and 0.68 upload. I get these exact numbers everyday at any time of the day, so I am starting to think that maybe this ISP is the one hosting the speedtests in my area. Before switching, I would keep getting different results depending on the day and time of the day.

In terms of how I maintain my computer. It is very clean, I do a full clean-up every week, I am a bit of a freak lol. Anti-virus scan every 2 days with Kaspersky internet security 2010. spyware scans every week with ad-aware and S&D, also Kaspersky have real-time scanner. resgistry clean-up with registry booster from uniblue. Defragment every 2 weeks with JKdefrag.

I am running on windows xp home SP2, Intel Core 2 Duo E6750, 4 GB Corsair at 1333mhz gaming RAM. Nvidia 8800 GT at 512mb GFX.

Only the bare minimum services and software running in the background. The modem is plugged with a 3 feet cable from the wall and a 3 feet cable to the computer.

I have a 1 year contract, but I would like to know if there is a way to prove that they are not providing me with the promised speed, or that they are not blocking ports so that I can cancel my contract. All I want is to get what I'm paying for.

My current ISP is Bell Sympatico, and I live in Montreal, Canada.

Let me know if there is any other piece of info you need.

Thank you

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    So,have you tried running your own speedtest ?

Your speed on DSL is really defendant on line quality and how far away you are from the telco office.
    Sorry,Just re read the post.So your results are 10 mbps ? Which is what you are paying for.

Just for a sanity check,I did two speed tests.
    One with speedtest.net and one with speakeasy.net
    The first came in at 1.2
    The second came in at 2.5.
    I am suspicious of the first,obviously.My telco office is 2 blks away and I am paying for 3 mbps service,so pretty close.My wiring is poor,but my performance is very acceptable.
    Here a link to the speakeasy site.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/
    They have servers in NY and DC.

3. nbaidoun

nbaidoun Thread Starter

Hmmm! thanks for the reply...

I did the test with speakeasy, and I got almost the same results as speedtest, got 10.2 and 0.67...

So if the line I'm getting is really that speed, why is everything so slow from the first day I got my line from this new ISP?

I really don't understand...

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Here is a link to dslreports.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Take a look at the tweeks tool.It might suggest some receive window and mtu changes that might improve your speed.

This is from a prior Johnwill post.
    It might prove useful to have this data also.Might give us a better picture of true line quality.

I am not an expert at reading this data,but other techs here have that expertise.

Register at DSLReports and run their Line Quality Tests. It's best to run this test with a direct wired connection to eliminate any wireless issues from the results. It's useful many times to run this test several times, and we'd like to see each of the results. Post the results link from the top of the test display page for each test run here.

The link to post is near the top of the page and looks like:

If you wish to post this result to a forum, please copy/paste this URL
    http://www.dslreports.com/linequality/nil/2357195 <- sample only, yours will obviously be different!
    and your IP will be disguised.

Copy/paste that link here.

Note: You will have to enable PING (ICMP) request response either in your router (if you have one), or in your computer's firewall for direct modem connections. This is very important to get the most important part of the test to run.

5. nbaidoun

nbaidoun Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/839959

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice