1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Esteban, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

I have searched this site & tried about everything to speed up my connection.[26,400] About 1 1/2 years ago, a new modem was installed.[ USR 0726] Connection speed was good, 39-49k for months. Now, I cannot get anything better than 26,400, except only every now & then. have tried everything suggested on the web. ISP/shop says it is phone lines. Phone co. checked twice & said all is fine. Connects OK at another house farther away.Computer is very clean of all junk, etc. ONLY line to phone box outside is computer. Changed settings & strings. Nothing helps.
    The one thing I could NOT do is update modem. USR said there was no support for this modem USR 0726 ] as it was sold as a discounted item, i.e.] I cannot find any way to update the modem if it is possible. Any help is appreciated! THANKS

2. McGowan

McGowan

is it a software modem?

if so check to see if your system resources are below 80% that would cause the problem (you can check by right clicking on my computer, properties, performace and it'll say system resources ##% free

If it is you should remove startup group items from msconfig (start run type in msconfig)

3. brindle

brindle

The newest drivers I could find for this modem are for 98se and dated Oct. 18, 2002

4. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

System resources are 78% Free. I will check the modem update.

5. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

I am trying to find the way to show " start-up" files & copy to send them to you. Can't ???

6. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

I tried to copy & paste " startup" but couldn't figure it out.[ W98]. I did uncheck a few things & performance is now 90%
    Why would I have, in startup, 2 each of Registerdrophandler, & an SSK program?? I unchecked ONE of each & restarted computer. Still slow connection. The update for the modem would not work & I just got error screen.
    How can I copy & paste the startup list ?

7. brindle

brindle

alt+print screen then paste it into paint, save it then include it here in your next post as an attachment

8. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

I don't have a " print screen" option. I tried to download & run " Hijack This" & it says that I need aMSVDVM60DLL file. Any other way I can send this info?

9. brindle

brindle

you don't have a print screen key to the right of the F12 key?

10. Esteban

Esteban Thread Starter

That " key" has never worked. I will type in below what shows up in my startup list;
    SSK
    System Tray
    Registerdrophandler
    NAV
    Script blocking
    Microsoft works calender

11. brindle

brindle

maybe someone else knows a way to attach your msconfig start up. what you listed just doesn't look right to me. Do you have a firewall or an anti-virus program, scanregistry should be there also.

just saw nav

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163428

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice