Slow connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Esteban

I have searched this site & tried about everything to speed up my connection.[26,400] About 1 1/2 years ago, a new modem was installed.[ USR 0726] Connection speed was good, 39-49k for months. Now, I cannot get anything better than 26,400, except only every now & then. have tried everything suggested on the web. ISP/shop says it is phone lines. Phone co. checked twice & said all is fine. Connects OK at another house farther away.Computer is very clean of all junk, etc. ONLY line to phone box outside is computer. Changed settings & strings. Nothing helps.
The one thing I could NOT do is update modem. USR said there was no support for this modem USR 0726 ] as it was sold as a discounted item, i.e.] I cannot find any way to update the modem if it is possible. Any help is appreciated! THANKS

is it a software modem?

if so check to see if your system resources are below 80% that would cause the problem (you can check by right clicking on my computer, properties, performace and it'll say system resources ##% free

If it is you should remove startup group items from msconfig (start run type in msconfig)

Esteban

I am trying to find the way to show " start-up" files & copy to send them to you. Can't ???

Esteban

I tried to copy & paste " startup" but couldn't figure it out.[ W98]. I did uncheck a few things & performance is now 90%
Why would I have, in startup, 2 each of Registerdrophandler, & an SSK program?? I unchecked ONE of each & restarted computer. Still slow connection. The update for the modem would not work & I just got error screen.
How can I copy & paste the startup list ?

alt+print screen then paste it into paint, save it then include it here in your next post as an attachment

Esteban

I don't have a " print screen" option. I tried to download & run " Hijack This" & it says that I need aMSVDVM60DLL file. Any other way I can send this info?

Esteban

That " key" has never worked. I will type in below what shows up in my startup list;
SSK
System Tray
Registerdrophandler
NAV
Script blocking
Microsoft works calender

maybe someone else knows a way to attach your msconfig start up. what you listed just doesn't look right to me. Do you have a firewall or an anti-virus program, scanregistry should be there also.

just saw nav

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online