1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LS, Nov 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LS

LS Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have an emachine with cyrix 333 and 64MB and a lousy modem. Now that is what I thought. I put win98se fresh on there and the modem is still super slow on the internet. It is painfully obvious. So I replaced it with a Creative lab, a known good PCI modem and to my surprise this modem is also super slow. So I tried a third modem a Creative lab ISA, and the same slow results. My phone jack and cord are fine since I use it for my main computer and it doesn't have a problem with Internet. I am fresh out of ideas. I appreciate any input. Thank you. LS

2. $teve

$teve

3. $teve

$teve

4. LS

LS Thread Starter

Thank you Steve. I got on that site and it seems to be some sort of speed measuring site. I will give it a shot tonight again and let you know what happened. LS

5. deuce

deuce

First of all, ISA is going to be slower than PCI, so you will want to make sure you are using PCI. (PCI can communicate with your system at speeds near that of the bus, and ISA can't come close) As for the modem, you can tweak it and that should have some improvement, but your dial up over time will seem to get slower and slower, but it actually isn't. Today's internet is loading sites with more and more data because there is enough people using broadband that can take advantage of it, and don't have to wait on it. Unfortunately for those using dialup, that means it will take pages longer to load. Where do you live? You might want to look into getting some sort of broadband, as nowadays it isn't a whole lot more than dialup. MSN and AOL and all those I think are $20/month, and my 275 kbps wireless DSL is only $26 or so. For only $6 extra a month I get a tremdous increase in speed over dialup, and most web pages load in less than 2 seconds. (Just an idea)

[EDIT: opps... thats kbps, not mbps (I wish)]

6. LS

LS Thread Starter

Thank you deuce_mn for your input. Can you tell me what brand of DSL you are using. I have been looking into DSL and they don't offer the wired ones here. As for my dial up problem, it is only on this particular machine. My other machines run fine on the internet. Thanks again. LS

7. deuce

deuce

My DSL is a local carrier, but I'm sure there are comparable rates in your area. I used to live in Minneapolis and had Quest DSL (wired) and that was only $14.95/month for the same speed (275 Kbps or there about) if you also had Quest voicemail, and I think $20 if you didn't, but either way that is the same price or less than some dialup ISPs. Some of the other big carriers (that are in most major areas in the US) are Midcontinent Communications, BellSouth and Ameritech, which I think all have good rates.

8. $teve

$teve

deuce_mm.........you should come and live in england,im still on d/u cos broadband access here is around £40......thats about $50 plus per month.......and we also get less in our pay packet than you guys.:mad:
    im concidering going BB..........but begrudgingly.
    :confused:

9. LS

LS Thread Starter

Thank you $teve and deuce_mn. I will look into the DSL. Here we are in a small town in Michigan and we don't have a whole lot besides the dial up. Oh we do have two stop lights. Also I tweaked some of settings for my modem. I unchecked the Log on to Network, NetBUI and IPX,SPx and the modem seems to run faster. Again thanks a lot for your help. LS

10. deuce

deuce

Some carriers offer wireless broadband, which get pretty much all over the US. I live in a pretty small community, and so we have midcontinent and Quest on the city, but not out where I live, however we do get this wireless BB for a pretty good price, not much more than dialup. The only thing is it requires a lot of maintence on thier part so they are constantly doing software and tower upgrades (those are between 1 am and 5am) and are service gets interruptes every other month or so for a few hours during the day. :( But it has only inconvienced me twice, so it doesn't bother me a whole bit. The speed is worth it. :D $teve, if you can affford it (by that I mean don't care about paying higher prices in England :)) then you should get BB. It is really nice. In Sacramento, Ca they are staring this new type of BB service and it is supposed to reach speeds of 58 Mbps in the next two years. Sounds nice, but I unfortunately don't even live on the same side of the US. Hewee is going to get it as soon as it gets to his neighborhood.

11. LS

LS Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip dude. I will look into that. LS

12. padutch

padutch

Hey Steve,
    I went to www.optimizing.net and worked on my dial up connection speed but now have a problem. It works fine but whenever I go into control panel then Network it is fine but every time I exit Network it ask for the win 98 CD then downloads about 5 different things. It does this every time I go to Network. How can I stop this?
    DUTCH

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice