slow defrag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bkwizardry1

I have been trying to defrag my hard drive. the power in the house went out twice while tring to defrag, so that is some of the problem. It takes 5 plus days analyzing and is only 80%. Safe mode boot won't let me run defrag?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What is the make and full model of the computer if branded

Are you using Windows defrag or a third party tool

I suspect you may be trying a defrag because of other problems - if that is correct what are they please

What is the overall capacity of the disk/drive you are trying to defrag and how much free space is there

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
the power in the house went out twice while trying to defrag
You didn't describe your computer and advise if it's a desktop or a laptop/notebook.

This is one reason why it's good to have your computer connected to a battery-backup unit, especially if your home is prone to power outages.

It takes 5 plus days analyzing and is only 80%
My Windows 7 desktop has a 750 GB capacity hard drive, and Disk Defragmenter takes only about 1 minute to analyze it.

I suspect you may be trying a defrag because of other problems
I tend to agree with Macboatmaster in his suspicion.

-------------------------------------------------------

bkwizardry1

I have a 2009 HP Pavillion Slimline running Windows 7 Home Premium edition w/ service pack 1
AMD Semptron LE-250 2.2ghz processor 3gb hd with 2.87gb usuable 32 bit

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Please answer the other queries

Are you using Windows defrag or a third party tool

I suspect you may be trying a defrag because of other problems - if that is correct what are they please

and this
3gb hd with 2.87gb usuable 32 bit
is ram not the hard drive

bkwizardry1

my bad have been trying so many things I think I'm starting to lose my mind! I am using Windows defrag and I have 111gb free out of 286gb. There really aren't any issues with the computer. This is part of a monthly maintenance routine that unfortunately hasn't been done monthly since Aug5 2014

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I am using Windows defrag and I have 111gb free out of 286gb. There really aren't any issues with the computer.
That's good to hear. (y)

From your original comments, we got the impression you were having issues with it.

-------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Unless you've disabled it, the defrag app for Windows 7 is set by default to run on a schedule.

There's no need for you to manually run it.

------------------------------------------------------------

bkwizardry1

I did disable the schedule and have been running it manually. I even tried in safe mode but it won't even start in safe mode

valis

why not just let it run automatically? W7 is pretty good at that.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
In view of the power cut during the defrag it is more than possible that files that were at the time of the defrag being moved - were corrupted

Run a chkdsk /r on the system drive
It is no point me typing instructions if you already know how

Briefly - cmd prompt admin rights
type
chkdsk /r
agree to run on restart

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Post results from event viewer if you are in any doubt as to what they indicate

Control Panel
Admin tools
Event Viewer
Windows logs left pane
application log
find on right pane
type
wininit
click find next
check that it is the recent chkdsk
if so
copy on right pane - as txt
paste either directly to your reply on here or to notepad and then copy and paste that to here.

Please paste not attach as a file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts