1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow dial up speed on brand new computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Velvet Elvis, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Velvet Elvis

Velvet Elvis Thread Starter

I live in an area where DSL is not available, so I'm using a dial up connection (AOL 9.0) Our old computer (Dell Dimension 4100, Win ME) would get anywhere from 50 to 53.3K speed and when it wasn't locking up had reasonable internet speed. We recently purchased a new computer (E machines C2825) and the speed rarely reaches over 35K using the same access numbers. It has XP home. Is there a way to get the speed up? Even though it is a 56K modem, is there something that would limit the speed, and if so can I change it? Or should I return the E-machines while it's still under warranty and quit while I'm not so far behind?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is this the exact same phone connection that you used before?

A lot of things can affect the speed, but few have much to do with the computer or modem themselves.

The phone connections must be in excellent condidion since even a small problem with a bad connection or corrosion can make a lot of difference to a dialup connection.

When I first moved into "this old house", 35 was all I could get. But unscrewing all the phone connections and cleaning to bare copper, from the computer to the box outside gave me solid 53.3 connections after that. Even the connections on the modem itself and the wire going in can be cleaned with a Q-Tip and alcohol.

In the Control Panel under modem settings, some say speed can be achieved by turning off flow control (hardly a problem with new computers---old ones sometimes couldn't keep up) and be sure compression is enabled.

Check that all your modem speed settings are at or above its capacity, and look for the newest driver you can find.

If you like the computer and it works well, I certainly wouldn't consider returning it for this alone. New modems can be gotten for $10.

The number of other devices connected to the same phone line should also be limited. The more answering machines, extensions, caller ID's on the line, the slower it will be.

And limit the length of phone cords. If you have 20 feet of rolled up phone wire behind the computer, get a shorter wire :D.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Others may have more to offer.

Good luck.

3. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Elvandil has given his usual excellent advice,follow it carefully, of course dial up connections can be very temperemental sometimes depending on the number of users online with the ISP ,over here in the UK thery are vastly oversubscribed and it takes an age at times to even get on the internet,have you tried it at night for instance when not many people are online? I wonder if there is any improvement then? also there is the possibility that you have a fault on the line (even though your phone may be working) ask your telephone company to test the line for you,they should be happy to oblige if you tell them why....hope you get it working better soon....take care

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/233333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice