1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow/down internet connection. HELP!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dcgm, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dcgm

dcgm Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a dell studio 1557 running windows 7. I live in my own apartment with roommates in college, and i've been having some very bad issues with slow internet or constant down time. Here are some key points:

- I have Charter internet.
    - My 2 other roommates have NO ISSUES.
    - My laptop works in my family's house. They have Comcast. I went on vacation a week ago and there were no issues on the hotel internet. No issues from the school's internet.
    - I have been using my android phone as a tether because the internet is more stable. It's slow, but consistent for the most part. This is extra frustrating because I shouldnt have slow internet. And I sure as hell shouldnt be paying for internet I can't even enjoy.
    - Charter has replaced 2 routers. Both are brand new. They are net gear. Charter is clueless to my problem.
    - I have reinstalled windows. Dell told me to try safe mode. I noticed NO ISSUES WITH STANDARD BROWSING IN SAFE MODE. This leads me to believe it is a software issue.
    - The connection is non-existent when coming out of hibernation or rebooting. In the morning, i have to boot up, make my coffee, and only then will it give me access to the internet. Otherwise, page timeouts. It can take up to 10 minutes for the internet to work.
    - Youtube and general multitasking is very bad. Slower connection than ever, page timeouts, and I often need to wait for a video/music to buffer before I begin enjoying it.

My laptop has been this way for upwards of 6 months. I don't know what to do now. Please help me!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does this happen with ethernet, wireless, or both?

Here are three somewhat similar unexplained problems caused by a service ...

The following services have each given at least one person networking problems in Vista.

SSTP-service (secure tunneling protocol) caused one person's Microsoft network products to go slow: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/715352-internet-connection-verry-slow-windows.html#post5911440

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager caused my Firefox to load pages slowly: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/694271-solved-web-pages-load-slowly.html

In Windows 7 Remote Access Connection Manager has (very strangely) caused my Firefox to slow.

3. dcgm

dcgm Thread Starter

I have not tried ethernet. I tried disabling SSTP and the Remote Connection Manager but no change. The problem persists.

edit: I have tried troubleshooting several times but usually nothing comes up. I tried again now (while my normal connection is completely down. I am posting from my android tether) and got a "DNS server not responding" error message.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You may need to through the tedious process of finding the problem task or service.

Frankly, when I read through your (thorough and clear) initial post I was thinking "hardware issue" except, of course, for the parts about working elsewhere and Safe Mode with Networking not exhibiting the problem.

Concentrating on the wireless aspect ...

Unless your ISP has locked the router make sure you have the latest firmware update; then reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver--from the laptop manufacturer's web site for an integrated adapter; from the card manufacturer's web site for an external card.

What encryption are you using? If WEP that could be an issue, as Vista sometimes struggles with WEP and I assume that Windows 7 also struggles sometimes. Try w/o encryption and try WPA-PSK.

See the three "disable" items in this post.

5. dcgm

dcgm Thread Starter

I am posting from safe mode with networking right now. It seems about 99% stable - MUCH more than normal mode and the difference is like night and day. However, there is still the occasional random timeout. It seems to hit if i go through pages quickly. Videos buffer and play without issue. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time the first time i tested it in safe mode. Note that it was the dell technician who had control of my computer. He fixed missing drivers from my fresh install of Windows 7 and thoroughly tested my computer before assuring me it was a software issue. All drivers are up to date. I am hesitant to touch my router because of my other roommates. I wouldnt want to be in a situation where I mess up the internet for them as well and have to spend even more time trying to fix it ASAP. Like I said, they have no problems. I changed the channels and encryption and such, but no change. I disabled the stuff from the link you posted. Still no change.

Is it possible there is some kind of conflict between my computer and the netgear brand? I'm not sure what the other connections (school and hotel) are, but I have linksys at home and there is no issue. Would getting another brand (on my own dime, since charter wont provide anything else) possibly fix this? I just dont know anymore. So frustrating.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There have been a few cases where a particular wireless adapter and particular router have refused to play nice together. So, especially since you know your adapter works elsewhere, it is entirely possible that a different router will make a world of difference.

Is your current router just a broadband router or is it a modem/router combination unit? Are you paying extra for it, or is its rental bundled into the overall monthly charge?

7. dcgm

dcgm Thread Starter

I believe it is a combination unit. I pay $10 extra per month. I should have used my own ages ago but I guess I was always too lazy and just stuck with the rental lol

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At $10/month you could get your dime back pretty quickly if you replace it. If you do, check with them first--you may have to register the MAC Address of the modem with them. Usually with cable service there is nothing else to worry about.

Or you could just get another router (or wireless access point) and try it in addition to the current setup.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice