1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow down issue

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Dsquared, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

System:
    Windows Me
    Pentium4 - 1.4 GHZ 256 RAM
    40G hard drive

I'm having a few different problems recently that seem to be related. One is that I'm having trouble shutting down. Often, the computer doesn't shut all the way down and power off. I have to finally power it off manually. This, of course, results in an HD scan upon startup.

Secondly, while on line through my high speed cable connection, things sometime start to really slow down. Sites, all sites, take a long time to load, mouse won't left click, stuff like that. Rebooting usually corrects it. Of course, rebooting to correct the slowdown usually then involves the problem discussed above. I've run ad scan and virus detection software with no results.

I have noticed, however, that when things seem to be running poorly, that a CTL-ALT-DEL reveals something called Wuauclt running. I've seen none of these symptoms this session so far and..(checking)..mmm..Wuauclt is now running. It wasn't the last time I checked. I suppose then it has nothing to do with my problems. What is that program and what triggers it to run? Does anyone have suggestions as to where I should look when the problems described above appear?

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Actually that is the Windows updater......I don't think I would leave that running anyway....you should make your own choices as to what updates you want.

Microsoft AutoUpdate for Windows Millennium Edition. Whenever you connect to the Internet, WUAUCLT checks the Microsoft website for updates to Windows Millennium Edition.

Recommendation :
    We recommend against having any sort of AutoUpdate feature turned ON for operating systems. If your system works, do not fix it. Updates should be manually controlled as the downside, if something goes wrong, is potentially an unusable PC. Turn OFF Automatic Update as follows : "Start \ Settings \ Control Panel \ Automatic Updates \ Turn OFF automatic updating". Then reboot your PC.

Cut and paste from here:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_w.htm

3. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll do that. What do you think about the shutdown and sluggish issues?

4. ~Candy~

I'd be curious to see what other stuff you are running at startup.

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok...go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste your response.

Is all of your ram being seen? Right click on my computer, properties...all 256 there?

5. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Yes 256 MB shows. Here is the info you asked for:

OS Name Microsoft Windows
    Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name HOME
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model E-4600
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1400MHz GenuineIntel ~1397 Mhz
    BIOS Version
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    Locale United States
    Time Zone Central Standard Time
    Total Physical Memory 255.26 MB
    Available Physical Memory 98.68 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.77 GB
    Page File Space 1.75 GB

That's strange. It said Central Standard Time. I set that to Eastern when I set up and the time has been right on the tray. Well, I reset it.

6. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Sorry, wrong page. Here it is:

*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    EnsoniqMixer starter.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MICROSOFT WORKS CALENDAR REMINDERS c:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\workss~1\wkcalrem.exe .DEFAULT Startup
    Microsoft Works Update Detection c:\program files\microsoft works\wkdetect.exe .DEFAULT HKU\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    NvCplDaemon rundll32.exe nvqtwk,nvcpldaemon initialize All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    nwiz nwiz.exe /install All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SystemTray systray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TrueVector c:\windows\system\zonelabs\vsmon.exe -service All Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    Vet Alert c:\windows\system\vetmsg9x.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    VetTray c:\progra~1\comput~1\etrust~1\etrust~1\vettray.exe All Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ZoneAlarm c:\progra~1\zonela~1\zoneal~1\zoneal~1.exe All Users Common Startup

7. ~Candy~

Well, not too much there.....I would suggest if you don't use MS Works reminder, to disable that from starting up.

When things start to slow down, right click on my computer, properties, performance.....where are your resources?

8. Dsquared

Dsquared Thread Starter

Yes, I do use the Works reminder. However, I have unchecked the Works Update Detection more than once. I now have three or four lines that are all labeled Works Update Detection and that are all unchecked.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119116

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice