1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow download speed but modem is fine.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wi1dturkey, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wi1dturkey

wi1dturkey Thread Starter

i have been on the phone with the internet company and they have reset everything from their end.
    My modem is getting 24.98 Mbps. i am connected through a 1ft Ethernet cable. My ethernet status speed is 1.0Gbps. running a speed.net test results in 16ms ping, 1.47Mbps download speed and 4.34Mbps upload speed.
    I have run a malewarebytes and an avast scan both premium and resulted clean. my speed & duplex is set to auto which is 1.0Gbps full. I have no idea why i am getting such low speeds, iv done the obvious restarts and resets, only appliance in the house connected.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You are connected directly to the modem? No router?

Make sure you have the latest chipset and ethernet drivers from the computer (or motherboard) manufacturer's web site.

Do you have another device with which you can test? Or can you test the computer on another network?

3. wi1dturkey

have tested other devices and they are fine. no its a router modem.

4. wi1dturkey

TGiinet-1 technicolor wireless VoIP smart ultra Broardband Gateway

5. wi1dturkey

also i have tryed resetting my IPv4 and IPv6.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Have you ever gotten good bandwidth with this computer and this connection?

Try setting the speed/duplex to 1000 Mbps full duplex and also try 100 Mbps full duplex. I know that 'Auto" is normally best, but sometimes the adapter and router don't synchronize the speed smoothly.

7. wi1dturkey

generally i have amazing speed on this pc, its only started to happen today. no new installs. no new updates.

8. wi1dturkey

its gone alright throughout the day and now its hit 8pm its suddly down below 1MBps download, but my router ses its getting 24,84MBps

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice