1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow download speeds on PC only

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tpreston1989, Oct 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpreston1989

tpreston1989 Thread Starter

I recently built a PC. I have it networked via hardline through a cat 7a ethernet cable to my router. I have noticed that on my PC only, I have really poor download speeds. I have 3 Xboxes in the house that don't have download speed issues. I pay for 400mbps speeds, typically get around 200+ though. But, on my pc, I am lucky if I break 40mbps. I have done some dinking around on the pc to try and remedy the problem, like changed all my game UI's (Steam, Origin, etc) download limiters to unlimited. I have done some other stuff, but cant recall what exactly I have done, all I know is that it still has slow speeds. But, if I check the network speed on the pc, it says that I have higher download speeds.

PC Specs:
    Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO
    CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
    GPU: MSI RTX2080
    Ram: 32GB DDR4

Router: tp link ac1750
    Modem: arris surfboard sb6190

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What is your uploading speed?

If the computer is close to the modem, try going direct to the modem and run speed tests least 3 speed tests; your ISP may have one, www.speedtest.net, www.dslreports.com/speedtest, www.speedof.me, and www.testmy.net

Note: depending on your ISP, you may need to power down both comptuer and modem for about 15 minutes, then turn on the modem first, wait for the 4 lights to turn on and then turn on your computer.

If you are able to get at least 160Mpbs then the issue is between your computer and router.

3. tpreston1989

tpreston1989 Thread Starter

My upload speed I think is generally around 30mbps. Maybe more. I would have to check when I am at home.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice