1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow download speeds on wireless

Discussion in 'Networking' started by oldnumber11, Jun 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldnumber11

oldnumber11 Thread Starter

I am connected to the internet via a cable modem through a Netgear 802.11b router. The router is right next to my notebook and I connect directly through ethernet to the router, but I have two other computers in the house which show good connectivity, i.e, 10Mbps, but the download tests show about "dial-up" rates. When I connect the notebook which is right next to the router to the wireless network, I get the same slow speed. My download tests show 3000 kbps for ethernet and 50 kbps for the wireless network. How do I troubleshoot this situation? Any suggestions.:eek:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i would run a few different connect speed test - yoiu can get some false figures
    then make sure you are really at a slow speed maybe time a download

turn all pc's off except 1 and try -maybe its spyware using the bandwidth

if wireless open - have a look in router an see how many people connected - your neighbours maybe using your connection unaware

if wireless secure - take secruity off and try

get isp to check speed maybe a problem in exchange

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/476173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice