1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow downloading speed

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by GodFactorX, Nov 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GodFactorX

GodFactorX Thread Starter

First Name:
    Norm
    Below is the tech data regarding my laptop. I've had my computer cleaned ''twice'' by ''Advanced Tech Support'' (ATS). I'm assuming my computer should be squeaky clean.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II Dual-Core M320, AMD64 Family 16 Model 6 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3836 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD M880G with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200, 336 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 280 GB (85 GB Free); D: 17 GB (2 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 3638
    Antivirus: Panda Internet Security 2016, Enabled and Updated

I go to Speedtest.net daily and my average Ping time is about 26 seconds. Average download time is 32Mbps, Upload time is 11 Mbps. I phoned my ISP. They told me everything was fine on their end. I use Wi-Fi. Was asked to plug cable directly into laptop. No significant change in speed.

MAIN PROBLEM(S):
    1) If I'm on a webpage and click on a YouTube link, or even if I go directly to YouTube, it takes an average of about 5 minutes for video to start playing. This happens constantly, without exception.

2) Also, very often (7 or 8 times out of 10), when I try to scroll down, it indicates that ''so and so website is not responding''. However, it usually works after 1-3 minutes. I don't understand what is causing the lag time.

QUESTIONS(S):
    1) I use Internet Explorer and my Home Page is regular Google. Regardless of where I navigate to, I am constantly bombarded by ads to download Google Chrome. I don't want to change browsers. Is it possible that Google is in a way trying to blackmail me into accepting to allow me better speed?

2) Is it possible that Windows is trying to blackmail me into converting from Windows 7 to Windows 10 to better my speed.

Thanks in advance.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a HP laptop.
    What is its model name and complete model number?
    What is the exact product number(P/N) on it?
    The only way to have a "squeaky clean" computer is to clean install the Windows operating system and get a fresh start with it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

3. GodFactorX

First Name:
    Norm
    I have an HP Pavilion dv7-3228ca Entertainment Notebook PC. The exact P/N: WA799UA#abc.
    S/N: CNF0047G2B

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It appears you made a typo in the model number, and that you actually have a HP Pavilion dv7-3128ca Entertainment Notebook PC.
    If you haven't already done it, you should add and save this site in your browser's favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when needed.

According to its specifications section, that laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    If you haven't created or have purchased a factory restore/system recovery disc kit for it, you can purchase it HERE.
    If the operating system crashes or if the hard drive dies and needs to be replaced, you'll be glad you have that disc kit handy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. GodFactorX

First Name:
    Norm
    Thank you Flavalee for catching the error (typo of model number) and the useful information about restore/system recovery disc, however, I'm not sure if your reply actually addresses my 2 problems (see initial post above), or if it especially answers my 2 questions (see initial post above)? Am I to understand that I should reinstall Windows just because YouTube is slow to download???

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The information and links that I provided you with is just a matter of courtesy and to help you with certain issues that may occur in the future.

In response to your questions:
    I also use IE11 and have Google for my home page.
    I've gotten used to being nagged to switch to Google Chrome and have learned to ignore it.
    Microsoft does want everyone to switch to Windows 10, but it can no longer trick or force it on you since the free upgrade expired.

In response to your problems:
    I don't use YouTube, so I can't really address its issues.
    Since we don't know how you use your computer and how well you maintain it and what's installed and running in it, there can be several reasons for the slowness and lagging.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. GodFactorX

First Name:
    Norm
    Thank you for the time you've taken to answer me. Appreciate it very much.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1181712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice