1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dougsd, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dougsd

dougsd Thread Starter

I have been trying to diagnose a slowing when my memory card is put into my computer.
    I think the drive is Type: IDE
    Manufacturer: IBM/Hatachi
    Model: IC35L060AW207-0
    Size: 60.00 GBytes
    Interface: ATA133
    The only info I found was by searching for the model # and came across some info on a web site in Australia called Overclockers Australia PC Database
    First I open the computer icon.
    Then I click on what is called Removable Disk H
    This is where the camera card has been inserted at the front of my computer.
    When I click Open it takes several minutes before I can send the file to my documents.
    Can a file be too overloaded with photos causing this one drive to run slow?
    Any thing I could do to speed it up?
    Everything else seems to work OK

2. winbob

winbob

Is the drive being OPEN'ed by Explorer, or by a Photo Application?

When it finally OPEN's are you presented with filenames or Thumbnails?

Is the memory card actually plugged directly into a reader, or is the Camera attached to the computer via a cable?

Anything else affected by the card operation...is the whole machine laggy during these several minutes?

3. dougsd

dougsd Thread Starter

I use win xp home with 1.8 gig and 512 ram.
    Overall computer works fine until I try to open any of the removable disks.
    After clicking on my computer icon I see Files stored on the computer / Hard Disk Drives / Devices with Removable Storage.
    This is where the removable drives start from A-I
    H is used for the card reader as a slot in the front of the computer where I put the memory card after removing it from the camera.
    clicking on any of the removable drives produce the hour glass.
    It takes approx 1 minute before it opens to show play,rename etc.
    It appears to be a file which will allow me to remove the pics stored on the card and save them to my documents.
    Here I have quite a few saved and many photos in each seperate folder.
    Could I be overloading my documents file?
    it is only when I open one of the files in my doc folder that I get the thumbnails for each picture.
    While waiting for the hour glass to complete, I can go to other applications and they seem OK.

4. winbob

winbob

doug,

A little confused as to why you have REMOVABLE Drives A thru I ???? Is the card reader a multi-slot that has each slot listed as a separate Removable Drive?

You're saying your C: drive is listed as removable? What's with that?

"It takes approx 1 minute before it opens to show play,rename etc."

This sounds like a 'right click' on the individual file. How long does it take to simply list all the files on the card after you put it in and click on H ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice