1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow DSL speed with router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by johnnhud, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnhud

johnnhud Thread Starter

This is me first post to the forum so hello. I am in a simular position as Yadda insomuch as that I also am experiencing the same issues with my ZYXEL p-660-ELNK modem provided to me by EARTHLINK. This is how I was able to resolve that issue, as well as create another....

First, the modem is also a router (as someone previously stated) so the first thing you will need ot do is to switch it to bridge mode. This will get rid of MOST of the routing features... Next, click on advanced settings in the brower, choose LAN and make sure that DHCP is disabled. Mine wasnt' even after switching to Bridge. Lastly, click on SECURITY. I'm not sure why, but the modem ships default to block ALL WEB TRAFFIC!!!??? Disabble this by unchecking all the boxes in the security fields. You'll want to make sure you have a firewall installed on your machine or your switch/router may have one built in.

That got me online. My problem is that now, my "blazing" speed DSL is running at about 100/60 as opposed to 6000/600 which it was testing at when directly linked to the computer. Earthlink says it's the router, Netgear says it the Modem. I'm at a loss to be honest. Any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you have a new issue, please start a new thread. We deal with issues in separate threads, makes it much easier to keep things straight.

First think I'd try for the slow router speed is to change the MTU in the WAN configuration section of the router to 1492, see if that helps the issue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489467

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice