1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow DVD Burn Time

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by markwalker, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markwalker

markwalker Thread Starter

Hi Gang,

I have a DVD burner and use Nero 6 to burn my movies with. This all works fine but i find that when I'm burning the films this can take upto 3 hours (I'm presuming it is converting the file into a DVD format prior to burning) Whilst it is doing this thought my computer is on a complete go slow. And if i was to try and open another application whilst burning (Converting?) a film the application will eventually open up about a minute later.....

Is this down to my processor? I'm running a P4 2.2 Gig...

Many thanx

2. sync

sync

What type of source material are you burning? There is something going on besides just burning if it takes that long. Encoding video is definitely a time-consuming, cpu-intensive process.

3. markwalker

yes i think it is Encoding the video prior to burning it. Is my CPU to slow for this? What do you recomend?

4. sync

sync

Three hours to encode and burn is normal. There are things you can do to get a small improvement in performance - say 10%. There isn't anything you can do to significantly reduce the time. The best strategy is to burn your DVD when you don't need to use the computer. :)

5. markwalker

I understand the Encoding takes time, i don't have a problem with that. Its just that i can't do anything else with my computer whilst its doing the encoding. Is this normal?

Is it solely down to a better processor? If so which one should i be looking at getting??

6. sync

sync

What you've described is normal. Getting a faster processor will speed up the process slightly but it won't make much difference using other apps. A dual-processor would probably help but I'm pretty sure your computer doesn't support that.

You could go into the Processes tab of the Task Manager, right-click on Nero and lower the priority. That should enable you to use other apps more easily. It will also make the encoding process take longer.

7. markwalker

Thanx for your help mate.

8. kath100

kath100

Does the INcd program run at the same time as you are burning? Have a look in the task bar.
    I found that whenever INcd was running it slowed everything down.
    I stopped it running automatically on start up and everything to do with the cd drives speeded up.
    Its worth a try.
    :)

9. CrackerC78

CrackerC78

While in nero on the burning screen, select the more options tab and then you can lower the priority from nero which will allow you to use more programs. You can also raise the priority to high which may allow faster burning. Do you also have the latest update to nero? It is 6.3.1.6 and updating all products will give you updated vision express and recode. Supposeably the latest update has a faster encoding system. If you are encoding several of the same movies uncheck burn at once. I hope this helps a little.

10. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

My two cents here - while burning using Nero, I've been able to multi-task (even though I don't really like to) without any problems.

However, when rendering my movies, I once used a program to see how much drag it caused on the resources and, sure enough, rendering took up as much of the processor and RAM as it get its hands on (I used Movie Maker 2 and Ulead Media Studio).

It seems the render is the portion that really sucks up resources and I do not think that you will be able to bump up your system enough to really compensate for this - unless, that is, you build a super-duper-pooper-scooper machine (and even then, I'll bet the app will suck up all it can!)....

MBN

11. markwalker

Whats the INcd programme?

12. kath100

kath100

13. markwalker

Yes, just found out now, just updated my nero and found the programme installed when i rebooted.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice