1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow DVD writer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mackem28, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mackem28

mackem28 Thread Starter

I have just installed my first DVD writer. It is labelled as Emprex DVD Dual 8x and shown on system hardware as DVDRW IDE1008. I am running Windows XP Home on a P4 2.4 with 512DDR.

The writer is labelled as 8x, the media (I have tried several different types) is 4x :confused: and the maximum writing speed I can achieve is 2x. Maximum CD writing speed is shown as 40x and I don't seem to have problems getting close to that.

I tend to use Nero 6 to write my DVD's and am hopeful that someone can point out something that I am missing in my setup which may be causing the inability to write at 4x to DVD.

Thank you in anticipation.

2. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

It would have been better if you had bought a brand name, there is a wealth of info out there for Pioneer, NEC and Lite-on. With luck it may be a NEC you have.

Do you have it hooked up as master? Have you went to their site and seen if there is a firmware update? Most FW updates are made to acommodate more brands of media.

Go into Device Manager and look at your IDE channels and make sure DMA is enabled.

It probably is just a bad media match, one size does not fit all. It's very common that 4X branded media will only burn at 2X in some burners. And note that many of the big names use different manufacturers at different times. Try another brand.

Get this app to tell you who the actual maker is:

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

And spend some time here:

http://www.videohelp.com/

3. mackem28

mackem28 Thread Starter

I've checked device manager and DMA is enabled. The drive is connected as Slave. I have two HD's, a DVD reader and the DVD writer. I've downloaded and run DVD identifier and the two types of media I am using are -

Infosmart01 &
    Ritekg05

DVD Identifier sees both with a 4x potential but I am only able to write 2x. I'm beginning to think that the write is a "dork".

4. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269793

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice