1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Ethernet, Fast Wi fi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ghostcolors, Jan 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ghostcolors

ghostcolors Thread Starter

I've been using direct ethernet connection for the past 2 months with no problems. Online gaming. Several days ago, ethernet speeds dropped below 1 mbps upload and same for download. I tried a different cable, updating ethernet drivers, reseting modem. Nothing working.
    Network was set up by landlord - using google wifi which shouldn't affect me and a tp-link TL-SG105.
    Wifi speeds are fine. Noticed the problem when downloading lastest BF5 patch.
    Any suggestions?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Try a speed test to confirm at www.speedtest.net

also does the connection show it's on 100Mbps or 1Gbps?

3. ghostcolors

ghostcolors Thread Starter

11 ping
    download .93 mbps
    upload .74 mbps

not seeing whether it's 100mbps or 1gbps?

Also - yesterday, everything went back to normal. Speed was great, thought I was in the clear, then it reverted back to crap like it's been for a week. :(

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The best test is to see if you get the same issue by connecting directly to the modem and see if you get the same result. What modem do you have and who is your provider?

It's possible that your service is also having issues.

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    As to the speed, go to Network and Sharing Center then click on your connection and you will see what the link speed is.

upload_2019-1-24_8-21-44.png

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice