1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow external hard disk chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sachs, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

I have XP Pro; 1Gb RAM; Pentium III/700. Everything is going pretty well, but I have tried to perform a chkdsk. My internal hard disk is partioned as C and D; they "accepted" perfectly chkdsk in "normal times", but the 80 G external, that as a matter of fact, behaves perfectly, has taken more than three hours (until I stopped it) in the last revewing: the "files" = it practically stops in "2%"; other previous three ones's reviews took normal time. Is it just for the hard disk's size, or is it the sign that something is going wrong? Many thanks and greetings

2. jdean

jdean

Perhaps the external hard drive is on a USB 1 connection instead of a USB 2 connection?

3. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

No, is 2. Many thanks.

4. jdean

jdean

Did you select "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"? This will slow things down.

If the external drive is one of those "portable" external USB units, the hard drive is typically 5400rpm instead of 7200rpm. If you're going through a USB hub and there are other device in use, that could slow things down.

Do you have another machine that you could use for comparison, to determine if this is an issue with the machine or an issue with the drive?

5. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

About the first, yes, I clicked the issue. Second, the connection and the disk behave well indeed. With XP, the chckdsk runs before full opening, then no other connection is operative (in my case is the printer). I know that my external disk is "one of those portable" but serves me well. I would wish to say that after this attempt to perform the chkdsk, the sytem started to operate paradoxically a bit slower than before... Very funny!!! In my modest opinion, I feel that, even when that external disk is only occupied in a fifth of its capacity with recent defragged matterial, the size itself could be the cause of slowness, but I believe to remember a previous chkdsk that was "normal". Many thanks and greeting for the kind assistance.

6. jdean

jdean

Scanning for bad sectors is very slow. Try it without and you should see a huge difference.

7. sachs

sachs Thread Starter

I will, but I feel that so, I will spoil the task, even when I am sure the disk is pretty sound. Many thanks and greetings

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754159

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice