1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow FF and IE, MSE icon not showing up on startup

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by syntaxerr, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. syntaxerr

syntaxerr Thread Starter

I have multiple issues here. First off, FF4 and IE8 take longer than normal to start up. Now, I have this problem on my desktop. I also have a laptop that is wireless and when I click to open FF on both of them at the same time, my laptop loads up like in 1-2 seconds. It takes my desktop about 10-15 seconds. Same exact add-ons on both computers.The program opens on my desktop but it just keeps saying Connecting and the busy icon keeps spinning. After they load up, I can browse and some pages will load fast and other times it will take a while to load. My second problem is that when I reboot my pc, Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't appear in my active icons. But when I open it from All Programs and then close it, the icon stays down there. Here are my computer specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
    AMD Phenom II X4 820 processor (2.8gig)
    8 gig ram
    Nvidia GTX 460 1 gig ram

EDIT: I just tried something out because I've been messing around with settings. I work from home and have a VPN that's disabled unless I'm working. So, I connected to my VPN and IE and FF both load up super fast. Any ideas on this and what I should do for when it's disabled?

EDIT:Well I figured it out. After I figured out the VPN issue, I checked the network settings in IE and FF and I had the proxies set for my work VPN. I unchecked them and all is right again. It's weird that this problem just started happening today though.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988932