1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow File Response in My Computer or Local Disk Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by debodun, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. debodun

debodun Thread Starter

I've had some annoyance for quite some time when trying to work with folder and files through Local Disk Explorer or My Computer. Folder contents take much longer to display than they used to. If I click on a folder in the left side of the window, the contents of the folder (files) flash briefly, then disappear. In a few seconds they slowly reappear, one by one. Files are also slow to open. For example, an OTF Font file may take 15 to twenty seconds to open in FontView (it used to be almost instantaneous). Drag and drop also seems delayed. I've hunted the Internet for help and tried many tweaking advice suggestions, but nothing seems to help. I'd like to know what the problem might be and if there are possinbly any fixes.

My System - HP Pavillion 750n, 1.6 GHZ Pentium4 processor, 768 MB SDRAM, 32 MB graphics card and Windows XP home ed. as an OS. I bought it used and did not get any disks with it, so I can't re-install any system thingies if something gets messed up. I run Computer Associates Spyware and Antivirus scans regularly. Update and immunize with Spybot about once a week and do a scan once a month on average (it takes almost 2 hours to scan with SpyBot). I've given up on getting MalwareBytes to update and I've also uninstalled AdAware months ago which REALLY bogged down my system. I also have the CA firewall. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!