1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow File Transfer Speeds over Home Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by daellis, Jan 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

So, I know that at one point in the past my Home Network File Transfer Speeds use to be better than what I'm getting at the moment.

I'm by no means Network Savvy, so please bare with me. I know enough just to get into trouble.

Question 1
    From what I've been told your Home Network Speeds can be put to a screeching halt if you have a device that is particularly slower than most of your other devices (ie. a 802.11b device where most of the devices on your network are /g or /n. or a 10/100 device where most others are 10/100/1000) Is this true?

My Setup:
    I have 2 fairly new Toshiba Satellite Laptops (802.11n) that are almost always connected via WiFi and not LAN.
    I have 1 D-Link DIR 865L AC Router centrally located in my home for the best reach of signals.
    I have 1 WD My Book Live 2TB NAS connected directly to my Router via Ethernet.
    I have 1 Samsung Series 6 Smart TV
    I have 1 D-Link Baby Monitor connected via WiFi (802.11b I "THINK")
    I have 1 iPad Mini, 1 iPhone 6, and 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 that are all also connected.
    All my Ethernet Cable is Cat 5e, hard to find 6 where I live.
    My Router Channel is manually set to 11 (best possible) due to conflicting Home Networks around my area.
    Router Mode is set to Mixed Mode (a, b, g, n) All of my devices except our 2 phones fall into this category.
    Both of my Computers are joined in a Home Group.

Now, here are my current speeds.

I tested a few different methods on both of my Computers, all Methods using the same 1.9gb MP4 File. The purpose of these Tests are to try and find the best setup for my Home Network to ultimately move Large MP4 files from either of my 2 laptops to my NAS in the quickest possible time.

File Copy Test Results (Transfer Speeds Indicated by Windows File Transfer Window)

Newest Toshiba Satellite Running Windows 8.1 fully up to date. 500GB Internal Standard Harddrive, non-SSD
    NAS to Computer: 5.5 to 6.2 MBps (Wireless)
    NAS to Router via Eithernet to Computer via Ethernet: 5.2 - 6.2MBs (Wired)
    NAS to Computer via Ethernet: 16-32 mbps (Average 20-25MBps) (Wired)
    HomeGroup Older Satellite to Newer Satellite: 1.8 - 3.2 MBps (Wireless)
    Computer to NAS: 2.0 - 4.7 MBps (Wireless)
    Computer to Router via Eithernet to NAS via Ethernet: 3.4 - 5.2 MBps (Wired)
    Computer to NAS via Ethernet: 16-32 MBps (Average 20-25 MBps) (Wired)

Now that you've seen a little info, any ideas?. Again, I'm not a Network Wiz by any means, but I have been messing with Computers A LOT since I was a child, not as much as now as I use to, but still the same. And it baffles me as to why I'm not getting more than 20MBps Transfer speeds to and from my NAS Wired. I mean come on, 90 seconds to transfer a 2gb movie? WIRED??? A little while back that seemed acceptable. Something sounds off to me, and I'm trying to find out what. Before I was achieving transfer speeds of upwards of 45-50 MBps on my Home Network. I don't know when my Network fell apart, because I stopped paying it attention for a while because everything was fine.

Any ideas? Also my Router Settings are available if needed.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Turn off all wireless devices and disconnect cable from all wired devices except one and repeat the NAS file copy tests, do the same again but with another computer.

Change your router mode from Mixed Mode (a, b, g, n) to AC only as a test only if that's an option or a mixed mode without A or B. Make sure your wireless encryption is WPA2-AES. Change your channel to Auto.

Update your firmware to the latest version: http://support.dlink.ca/ProductInfo.aspx?m=DIR-865L

For wireless tests, switch to the 5Ghz channel and repeat.

20MBps is 80Mbits, that's not awful for some home NAS', which exact WD model do you have? The other speeds are low.

Also what do you mean by NAS to Computer versus NAS to Router to Computer? Are you bypassing the router and using a cross-over cable?

How fast is your internet connection? Does it benchmark close to the advertised speeds?

Also, try using LAN Speed Test and see what results it gets: http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed.html
    You can change the default 20 to larger values if the 20MB test completes well.

Do you have shares enabled on the PC's?

What antivirus/firewall do you have on the PC's? Have you tried with it off?

What connection speeds do the computers report for wired and wireless connections? Go to Network Adapters, right click and choose Status.

3. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

I'm on my mobile right now at work. I have already got most of the information you asked for after doing another series of tests at home yesterday. I can give you some specifics right now though.

So, I found out my Wireless Network card in my computer is in fact a G not N. Howe very, I can an AC USB Network adapter (was able to achieve wireless transfer speeds of 13-15 MBps)

The computer, NAS, and Router all use 10/100/1000 Gigabit ports. I didn't look at the connection speed for my LAN in the properties yesterday. However, my laptops built in Network cars connected in properties stated 96 mbps. With my AC adapter plugged in and my LAN and built in Wireless Adapters disable it reported 996 mbps).

I am set to channel 11. I run inSSider to help me manage the best channel to be on (ie avoiding overlapping channels and networks on the same channel)

I switched my LAN Duplex mode from Auto to 1000 mbps Full Duplex...but same results.

When I said NAS to computer I meant directly connected via ether net cable (and I was able to find a 3 foot cat 6 cable which improved my speeds only slightly, not enough that I'm looking for, 1-3 MBps AR best)

I use Windows Defender. No Antivirus. Even with windows defender firewall off I get the same results.

Firmware for all devices are up to date.

I pay for 50MBps and achieve 44 MBps Down, 10 Up with my standard wireless card. With my AC Adapter, 48 Down and 10 up. Only thing I think that could be a factor is my cable length. The Cat 5e I have connecting my cable providers model and my router is 20 feet. However, everything else is 3 feet at best.

Also, I did use LAN Speed Test yesterday before you mentioned it, and using 2,000 MB Packet sizes the results were nearly identical to Windows Reported transfer speeds.

I'm wondering if it's my NAS restricting my speeds, but I don't believe this is the case because even HomeGroup transfer speeds between computers are significantly slow.

If you need more info, such as router settings page etc let me know. Thanks I'm advance.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Ethernet cables are rated for 100 meters, 300 something feet, so a 20 foot cable is nothing.

What are the transfer speeds between computers for wired?

With a wireless G card it's max theoretical speed will be 54Mbps, realistically you'll get about 1/2 that. Double check what the new Toshiba is connecting at for speeds in case like with most wireless networks its connected well below it's maximum theoretical limit.

Did you also do tests will everything turned off except the NAS, router, and one computer? What was, or is, the result of that? The reason I ask this is if you have Wireless G clients

Wireless encryption is WPA2-AES? Older encryption types can limit speeds, in fact all the way down to a 54Mbps maximum. For wired connections it doesn't matter. Some people advise do tests with no encryption and repeating the tests on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies. You shouldn't have interference on 5Ghz like you do with 2.4Ghz. If you have the same SSID on both whoch some router manufacturer thought was a good idea, change that so each has as different SSID and it makes connecting to the network of choice easier.

Also, even if the NAS has a gigabit port, doesn't mean it'll get anywhere close to that, most home NAS units are actually pretty slow. When you get the model number of it post it.

Also to clarify as I noticed you are using MBps for most values, MBps is MegaBytes per second, Mb is Megabits per second. Your ISP and all network speeds such as 50Mbps, 1000Mbps, and 54Mbps are in Megabits, to go to MBps(or MB/s) divide by 8. So a wired gigabit connection is 125MB/s and wireless G is 6.75MBps. If the values you are posting are in MBps then some of them aren't that bad.

Find the WMM setting in the router and make sure it's on. Also find the QoS setting and try it on and off. Also find the channel width, try changing it from 20Mhz to 40Mhz or vice versa and if that has an effect - it'll likely be an option of each of the two frequencies.

5. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

I am set to WPA2/AES* (Initially I wasn't until yesterday after some reading. I believe I was set to WPA.

I have yet to transfer computer to computer wired, only wireless and those speeds were very slow through the HomeGroup. 3-5 MBps. I will report back on the wired speeds after work.

I am using the terms MBps and Mbps appropriately. Only for about 2 days though ;-) My Providers speed is indeed 50 MBps and that's what I'm getting on the downstream. And when I say I'm getting speeds of 3-5 MBps, 20-32 MBps and so forth during file transfers that is correct in saying Megabytes per second and not Megabit.

I have not tested with everything turned off except said devices yet. Will report back.

I have my model number for the WD NAS I'm using at home. Not handy at the moment. However, I did some deep research on said device yesterday and the real time speeds aren't impressive but more so than what I'm achieving at the moment. I will reply with the model number later.

I do have the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5ghz which isn't a big deal for me, because there's only 1 computer and 2 cell phones that use the 5ghz band. When I use the 5ghz band on my computer I have my internal G card disabled so there's no confusion to which SSID I'm connecting to. With my phones it's automatic.

Again, will get back with some of the information you guys asked for in about 10 hours time.

6. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

Also, one more questio . In the past I think I have tried leaving my internal wireless card (G) and USB AC adapter turned on at the same time and connect to both the 2.4 and 5 ghz bands simultaneousl. Is this possible and would it increase wireless speeds? Thanks again for the help.

7. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

Model number for NAS is WDBACG0020HCH-NESN.

Also the question was asked earlier if I had Shares. I did at one point in time, but no longer. That was before these rests. I'm starting to wonder if it's just a bottle neck with the Computers and NAS's Hard drive Read/Write speeds, and not my Network.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, disable the wireless G card. It can only use one card at a time, and it's possibly using the slower one.

Also, USB 2.0 will limit the speeds considerable, USB 2.0 is limited to 480Mbit/s and it has lots of overhead.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The NAS isn't all that fast from the reviews I see. You should try with a network share on another PC via Ethernet to get another result to compare.

10. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

Ok, this is going to be a lot of information, and quite possibly more than needed, but I wanted to have it all before posting back on here. So, here are my test results from this afternoon:

All test Results are using the same 1,981,957,797 Byte .MP4 file and conducted with no other devices
    on or connected to the network during test. All tests are using my newer laptop unless stated otherwise.

Hardware Specs
    Laptop Harddrive (SDD) (MK5075GSX 500GB) 8 MB Cache, 5400 RPM, SATA 3 Gb/s (74% Full)
    WD My Book 2 TB NAS Hardrive (75% Full) - Can't find much about the Harddrive Specs from Manufacture Website, or any website for that matter.
    New Laptop LAN - Inventec PCIe GBE Family Controller, 10/100/1000
    Old Laptop LAN - Realtek PCIe FE Family Controler, 10/100
    Router - D-Link Wireless AC 1750 Dual Band Gigabit Cloud Router, 4 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Ports
    D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band USB Adapter, standards: 802.11ac, /n, /g, /a - USB 2.0 and 3.0 Compatible

Test 1
    D-Link 1200AC USB Adapter with all other Adapters Disabled (Wireless)
    Cat 6 Cable Connecting NAS to Router - 702 Mbps, 585 Mbps, 866.5 Mbps Connection Speeds (it kept changing)
    2:34 to write to NAS (12.86 MBps)
    2:05 to read from NAS (15.85 MBps)

Test 2
    LAN (All other network adapters disabled)
    Cat 6 Cable Connecting NAS to Computer
    0:57 to write to NAS (Flow Control = Rx & Tx Enabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (34.77 MBps)
    1:06 to read from NAS (Flow Control = Rx & Tx Enabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (30.03 MBps)
    0:59 to write to NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (33.60 MBps)
    0:52 to read from NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (38.11 MBps)
    0:59 to write to NAS (Flow Control Disabled (Speed/Duplex = Auto) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (33.60 MBps)
    1:03 to read from NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (Speed/Duplex = Auto) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (31.46 MBps)

Test 3 (Decided to leave the Flow Control set to Disabled for all remaining tests or it was going to be a long afternoon)
    LAN connected to Router via Cat 5e, connected to NAS via Cat 6 (all other network adapters disabled)
    2:48 to write to NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (Speed/Duplex = Auto) - Connection Speed 100 Mbps (11.80 MBps)
    2:49 to read from NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (Speed/Duplex = Auto) - Connection Speed 100 Mbps (11.73 MBps)
    2:48 to write to NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 100 Mbps (11.80 MBps)
    2:49 to read from NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 100 Mbps (11.73 MBps)

LAN connected to Router via Cat 6, Router connected to NAS via Cat 6 (all other network adapters disabled)
    1:00 to write to NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (33.03 MBps)
    0:54 to read from NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (1 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (36.70 MBps)
    1:00 to write to NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (Speed/Duplex = Auto) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (33.03 MBps)
    0:59 to read from NAS (Flow Control Disabled) (Speed/Duplex = Auto) - Connection Speed 1 Gbps (33.60 MBps)

Old Laptop has 10/100 Ethernet - New Laptop 10/100/1000 (Test using Cat 6 Cable connecting the Computers Together)
    Writing to Old Laptop from New Laptop - 2:49 - 100 Mbps Connection (11.73 MBps)
    Reading from Old Laptop to New Laptop - 2:49 - 100 Mbps Connection (11.73 MBps)

Current LAN Adapter Settings After Testing:

Speed and Duplex = 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex Enabled
    ARP Offload = Enabled
    Auto Disable Gigabit = Disabled
    Energy Efficient Ethernet = Disabled
    Flow Control = Disabled
    Green Ethernet = Enabled
    Interrupt Moderation = Enabled
    IPv4 Checksum Offload = Rx & Tx Enabled
    Jumbo Frame = Disabled
    Large Send Offload v2 (IPv4) = Enabled
    Large Send Offload v2 (IPv6) = Enabled
    Maximum Number of RSS Queues = 4
    NS Offload = Enabled
    TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4) = Rx & Tx Enabled
    TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6) = Rx & Tx Enabled
    UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4) = Rx & Tx Enabled
    UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6) = Rx & Tx Enabled

After doing all this, I'm not sure I'm going to get much better speeds than what I'm getting using Cat 6 wired directly to the Router or NAS. I might be investing in a better Hard drive soon, possibly a SSD and upgrading the NAS. Not sure. If I could squeeze a little more speed out of it, I could possibly stay happy a little while longer :) Any suggestions???? Thanks again for all the help. Hope this helped.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You might have a bad cable if you only got a 100Mbit connection with the CAT 5e cable. CAT 5e vs 6 shouldn't really make significant difference here but if you're buying new cables that 6 is wise to get. Your results look fine actually for the hardware you have.

12. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

I actually bought a good bit of Cat 6 today for cheap. Went out of my way to find some. I had one short piece of 6 laying around the house, but it wasn't enough to wire everything. I'm starting to also think the results look "fine" after catching a real glimpse of my computer's hard drive specs, and the poor performance reviews and charts of my NAS. But It's not what I was looking to achieve :(

Also, WMM is Enabled...and actually I dont have the option to Disable it. In the same area in the router page, I also have a 20/40 Coexistence option that is defaulted to Enabled.

13. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

Also, do you think I should set my Flow Control setting back to Rx & Tx Enabled?

It could have just been me, but it looked like the speeds were more sustained with that setting disabled. There didn't seem to be as much up and down on the transfer speeds.

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you enable it, make sure it's enabled everywhere and see how it works. By default most cards still enable it I believe, but some have it off. It's suppose to pause transfers when a device is saturated and let it catch up. TCP also has its own mechanism for this. Results vary between setups and I've never need to change it. The total transfer time might be a more accurate measure than transfer speeds at any given time, or even an average, if lots of packets are being re-transmitted.

15. daellis

daellis Thread Starter

Roger that. About to run a full diagnostics test on the 2 TB....should prove time consuming. Thus, I say goodnight to you sir. Again, thanks for all the help. I do believe I have learned a thing or two.

Dave

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141804

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice