Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow Folder Opening?

720 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  bilnrobn 
#1 ·
I Have The Feeling This Problem May Be Something Simple But It Is Frustrating, I Am Running Windows 98 (Ver 2) With A 1200 Athlon Processor And 512 Memory.

My Problem Is A Gradual Slowing Down As I Open More Folders, To Give An Example, If I Click On My Documents It Will Open In Around A Second, If Then I Click Folder A, It Will Open Slightly Slower, Folder B Even Slower, And So On, Closing The Folders Makes No Difference To The Speed The Next Folder Opens.

Eventually By The Time I Have Opened Nine Or So Folders I Am Waiting Around A Minute For The Next Folders To Open. This Also Happens When Exploring And Opening Consecutive Folders, It Happens Also When I Use The Same Window To Open The Files.

The Only Way I Can Then Use The Computer Is To Shutdown And Restart.

Has Anyone Come Across This Before?
Thanks.

#3 ·
I have twenty folders in my "My documents" folder and some of them have a lot of files in them, photos and other memory eating things included, and I don't get that problem.
How much RAM do you have? Maybe you are simple asking the computer to open more files than the RAM can cope with. If you have less than 64meg of RAM then it is possibly your problem.
If so opening less files at one time or adding more RAM are the answer.

#5 ·
The attached file is a registry tweak called Powerful PC. It adds another option to the typical role (Control Panel > System > Performance > File System).

It allows for more directory entries to be kept in ram and should be beneficial to a system with many folders and files within folders.

Download the file and change the TXT to REG. Then, double click to add it to the registry.

Then go to Control Panel to enable it.

#7 ·
After Collating All The Helpful Replies And Contemplating My Options, I Decided On A Not Too Technical Quick Fix Which Took Less Than A Minute And Works A Treat.

Keeping In Mind The Registry Stream Issue Which Is Causing The Slowdown I Checked Out Other Folders (Other Than "My Documents") With Many Subfolders And Found No Speed Loss At All On Opening.

I Decided That Rather Than Dicing With The Registry I Would Simply Create A New Folder In My "C" Drive Called "Documents" Then Copy All My Stuff From My "My Documents" Folder To This New One. Then I Created A Short Cut To This Folder On My Desktop (Called "Documents")

Then I Deleted The "My Documents" Shortcut From The Desktop And Renamed The "Documents" Folder To "My Documents".....Thats It....The Original "My Documents Folder Still Exists But Is Not Used, It Can If You Wish Be Deleted To Save Space.

Maybe Slightly More Adventurous People Will Want To Tinker With The Registry, But For Me The Quick Simple Fix Did It!

THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP

Its Much Appreciated, I Dont Know Where Id Be Without This Forum, Maybe On A £1 A Minute Helpline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.