1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow formating

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lunarlander, Feb 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarlander

lunarlander Thread Starter

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can Slow Format a drive and make Win 10 install use them ? There are bad sectors on the drive. The boot/system partition seems to be around 600MB. Please correct me if I'm wrong. And I'll need around 400GB for the OS and programs. The drive is a 1TB drive.

The Win 10 Setup only does a Quick Format, which can mask the problem for a little while. But soon the bad sectors will affect the operation of Windows. I believe a Slow Format will mark the bad sectors, and if Win 10 Setup can be made to use the Slow Formatted partitions, then all should be good,

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

There is no chance
    Once there are bad sectors, even when those sectors are marked bad by chkdsk /r
    and therefore data is not written to them, the bad sectors can only increase, whether it is immediately or in the future
    It is a lost cause and attempting to install Windows 10 on it or any other OS is a pointless exercise, whether it be by slow format or any other suggested solution.
    The only chance would be to
    create a hidden partition that contains the bad sectors
    However the golden rule is operating system shouldn't be installed to a hard drive that contains bad sectors.

and that is so even if you can isolate them.

SarahSims and RT like this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice