1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow GPU Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Intel_Xtreme, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Intel_Xtreme

Intel_Xtreme Thread Starter

I've just finished a "new" PC build (with mostly old parts) and was expecting good performance on older games like Crysis. The problem is, Crysis lags really badly even on the lowest GPU settings. This is with a late-2012 era card so it should be able to handle it fine (the card actually beats the 560Ti on benchmark tests), but it doesn't.
    Note that on the highest settings, I get the same sort of FPS, maybe minus a couple of frames (getting around 18FPS on low settings and 12 on highest).

The card is faster than my laptop's 5870 which can handle Crysis on full settings fine (getting around 40FPS) so it should hangle Crysis with ease. I'll test BF3 later when it finishes downloading (from Origin btw so now piracy...) but I'm expecting it to behave in the same way,
    I suspect my ageing CPU and mobo is the problem but I want to make sure that these components are the problem before I go and purchase more components.

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHZ- Socket 755
    Mobo: Intel Desktop Board 945GNT
    RAM: 4GB DDR2 667MHZ
    HDDs: 64GB SSD, 80GB SATA HDD, 320GB SATA HDD
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7770

Please help- I don't want to spend more than I have to!

2. Intel_Xtreme

Here's a screenshot pf the GPU info inside Catalyst.

Attached Files:

3. Simba7

Simba7

Ya.. The bottleneck is your processor. I think, on that board, you can upgrade to a C2D or a C2Q.

4. Intel_Xtreme

Looks like it. Here are the Windows Experiance Index scores,,,

Attached Files:

5. Intel_Xtreme

I do have a Core2Duo but it doesn't actually work on the board.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It's absolutely the processors fault, a single core Pentium 4 is useless for gaming today.

The motherboard you have doesn't support Core 2 Duo processors, it's a low end motherboard that only supports Pentium 4, Celeron D, and Pentium D's. And while the Pentium D is dual core its nowhere near the level of Core 2 Duo or any i3, i5, or i7 processor.

You have a pretty good video card and a good SSD but a terrible motherboard and CPU for them.

Supported Processors: http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d945gnt/sb/CS-026630.htm

Also, the Radeon HD 5870 is actually faster than the Radeon HD 7770, the 7770 is newer but in a lower series.

7. Simba7

Simba7

Ewww. The highest it goes is a Pentium D @ 3.6GHz? Yuck.

I'd highly suggest finding a different motherboard and processor. You can sometimes find both for under $100. Just keep an eye on a few sites (NewEgg, TigerDirect, etc). If you want to keep your memory, I'd suggest eBay. Sometimes they have older mobo/CPU combinations since some people have upgraded and want to recoup their costs.

8. Intel_Xtreme

Saying that, I do actually have a a couple of older motherboards, one of them being a Republic of Gamers that support all socket 755 CPUs. Only thing is, I have not had a GPU to actually test to see if they work so I'll test both when I have the time to.

9. Intel_Xtreme

The desktop 5870 is faster, not the laptop version which is the one I have. My 5870 Mobility scores 6.9 on WEI and my 7770 7.5, so it's faster.

I just turned off hyperthreading- would this have an affect on performance?

10. Intel_Xtreme

I'm guessing that lowering the screen resolution will not do anything as this isn't an issue with the GPU?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice