1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow graphics performance.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tbird885, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

Hi all, this one has me baffled and I hope some-one can help.:)

A while ago I switched motherboards, going from a Gigabyte with Intel 865 chipset to an ASrock with VIA PT880 Ultra chipset. This was so that I could upgrade the CPU and RAM at a later date, whilst keeping my existing AGP card, Pentium 4 3.2ghz CPU and DDR ram.

First thing I noticed with the new mobo is that the graphics were way slower. The card is an Nvidia FX5200. On benchmarks it was running maybe 30% slower. This was on an 800 mhz FSB. I have tried fiddling with the settings that were available in the bios, but could not find the missing speed.

I have now upgraded the CPU to a Core duo running on a 1066mhz FBS, and DDR2 RAM running at 1:1. I have got back some of the lost graphics speed, but it is still short of what it was.

I know the FX5200 is no speed monster and it's dated but as I'm not much of a games player it's good enough for me (or it would be, if I could get it to run right).

The improved performance on a faster FSB and CPU suggests to me that the bottleneck is not the 8xAGP slot, or the card itself. so I am thinking maybe it is the VIA chipset that is holding it back. Is the VIA 880 Ultra chipset worse than the Intel 865?

TIA for any advice,
    Tom

2. brite750

brite750

i wouldnt think that the via vs intel chipset thing would effect a gfx card 30%, that sounds absurd, you definately took a nose dive in quality going from the gigabyte to the asrock MB. I also cant conceive of any reason to try to hold onto an AGP card, when that card is a FX5200. If you feel you have installed all the gfx drivers and MB chipset drivers properly and are still experiencing this slow down then i would have to say its either your card or MB or both just not playing well together.

3. brite750

brite750

BTW a Core Duo is for Laptops I think you mean Core2Duo, or what?

4. brite750

brite750

5. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

I pretty soon realised after buying the mobo that it was not a good choice.(y)

The board supports both PCI-E and AGP cards, the plan was to do a gradual upgrade. I partly chose it because it also has DDR and DDR2 slots.

Yep you're right it is a Core 2 duo 6700

The mobo is a 4coredual-VSTA, not the one you linked to.

6. brite750

brite750

oh wow yeah you really should get a mb that supports that cpu, i would get a intel mb or one with an intel chipset, by asus, epox, biostar, etc., my son bought an Asus mb with an Nforce chipset for his C2D E6300 and he likes it, but I would go intel as long as youre not an overclocker.
    I know the tempataion of buying these swiss army knife MB, they can do anything, but they dont seem to do anything well, and theyre always by a cheapy brand, ie ECS, PcChips, Asrock etc.

7. brite750

brite750

same Via chipset though, right?

8. Tbird885

Tbird885 Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I will get a better mb eventually, but I better get some use out of this one first:) Otherwise I will have SWMBO to answer to.

As it is, apart from the graphics it is running fast and solid. It compares favourably, on benchmarks anyway, to most of the Skt.775 mobos I have seen reviewed. Maybe I will get a PCI-E graphics card as my next upgrade and then later switch the whole lot over to a better mobo.

9. brite750

brite750

sounds like a plan;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice