1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow Harddrive / Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dalio, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dalio

Dalio Thread Starter

I have an HP dv2-1043ca. It normally would take my laptop 3-4 minutes to bootup. The other day I needed to be using my computer by the time I got to work thus I started it up and closed the the lid and went to work. When I got there my computer was non-functional (the drive was really slow, getting OS errors, etc.)

I have restored the OS to the factory delivery state, run a CHKDSK which found errors which it corrected; flashed my BIOS; run a defrag however I am still finding the computer really slow and seems to linger on ever command.

Any ideas to get it back to normal operating state would be appreciated....

2. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

Hi, you said CHKDSK found some errors, you can try HDtune to check aslo. whether the problem is due to the HDD.
    Normally reinstalling or restoring the OS will speed up the PC running.
    Did you have other bootup item to run when you boot the PC? How you restore the OS?

3. Hughv

Hughv

What is your OS?
    Check in device manager to see if all the drivers were properly installed.

4. Dalio

Dalio Thread Starter

I am using Vista. I restored using the HP restore tool to get to factory setting. Then I did a Windows and HP update to get all the latest patches.

5. Dalio

Dalio Thread Starter

Checked device manager and no flags.

6. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

Have you tried HDtune?

7. Hughv

Hughv

Check (msconfig) to see what's loading at startup and pare it down. Many big brand computers come with loads of trial and junk software that's completely unnecessary and may slow down your startup. Many people like to use Ccleaner for this purpose.
    http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

8. Dalio

Dalio Thread Starter

Checked msconfig to remove unnecessary garbage. Currently running HD Tune which has already idedtified 7.2% damaged blocks. Does the HD Tune tool repair these errors?

9. Dalio

Dalio Thread Starter

HD Tune is still running and now is at 14.5% damaged blocks...

10. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

Oh, i think it's the main cause,since you used CHKDSK to repair the logical errors and you should send the disk for professinal repair, HDtune just scan the error.

11. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

Or replace the bad one with a new HDD just in case, better choice.

12. Dalio

Dalio Thread Starter

HD Scan shows about 20 red (damaged) blocks in 3 main segments at the front end of the test the rest are all green. Is there any alternative to swapping out the hard drive?

13. jesseyoung

jesseyoung

So far as i know, generally if the damage block can be repaired, it's unnecessary to swap, you can contact the local repair department for a confirmation. However if you still continue using the disk before the repair, the damage block will just increase anyway, and it's more inconvenient for your PC use in future.
    Good luck!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/991677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice