1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Slow inter-office link

Discussion in 'Networking' started by makismagoo99, Nov 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. makismagoo99

makismagoo99 Thread Starter

My company has two offices located within a block of one another. Since we work on a lot of the same projects, we use a single server to house our files located in the main office. It is a small company with only about 15 people in each office.

The problem is that the connection to the server from the satellite office is unbearably slow. Opening simple Word documents or PDFs takes forever. It takes at least 30 mins to transfer 50 megs of data.

I am not the network admin and have a relatively basic knowledge of networking principles, but here's what our setup is to the best of my knowledge:

• Three T1 lines (not sure if they are bonded or not) that link the offices.
    • I believe the satellite office accesses the server via some sort of VPN, although I am not clear on exactly how VPNs work, so this may not be accurate.
    • We have a 4th T1 line that is solely dedicated to our VOIP phone system.
    Here is the lineage of data coming in:

3 T1 Lines >> Tasman 1004 (aggregates the T1 signal, i think) >> Juniper SSG20 (firewall) >> Netgear GS116 switch >> Computers

I don't know what it looks like on the other side, but it seems to me that with as much bandwidth as we appear to have, we should be able to access the server on the other side faster than we currently do. Thank you in advance; any help would be appreciated greatly!

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

1. you need to know what connections are at the other office
    2. are these T1's frame relay or point to points?
    3. are the switches at each side managed/vlan capable?
    4. are you using vlans?
    If all three come into the router they are not bonded.

Odds are one of the three T1's is another voice T1. So you have one VT1 coming into the VoIP pbx and then another VT1 going to the pbx at the remote site.

If you are not vlaning the VoIP traffic this can have a major impact on your throughput.

3. makismagoo99

makismagoo99 Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769042